[UK] Did you keep your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonywob, Nov 27, 2007.

1. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I am from UK but now live in Finland, and just got an unlocked iPhone yesterday, so my honeymoon period is very much still 'on'!

I wonder what features you are talking about? For me, I have a mobile phone that gives me unprecedented quality of access to internet and mail, plus a few other stylish apps like the weather, photo album sync, calendar, camera, *and* it's an 8Gb iPod.

To be honest I am pretty blown away by how good it is... but my main priority is internet and mail, and I live in a city with quite many free wireless hotspots...what features are you missing?

3. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007

tonywob thread starter macrumors regular

4. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I could have returned my phone on Monday, but decided to keep it. My main concerns were the more or less none existing EDGE and the attention seeking factor of the iPhone.

But I'm so happy that I have a phone which syncs perfectly with my Mac that I didn't want to give up this comfort.

5. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007

6. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

ok, gotcha!

I hadnt notice you cant forward sms yet. It's something I rarely do but occasionally it is handy to be able to re-send an SMS (also multiple recipients from time to time)

I never use MMS, I dont like it, but if you were used to is I can see that would be a pain.

Yes I have noticed one or two niggles e.g. when I use a number on a 'normal' phone I can hit 'edit before call' e.g. if I want to add an international prefix... so far I have to retype the whole thing on iPhone.

But OMFG... as a communication device, for internet and email and so on, it more than makes up for it for me.

I look forward to seeing where we are in 6 months time (and whether I will regret forking out megabucks for an unwarrantied unlocked phone because there was no sign of a Finnish release :cool: )

Oh and GPRS is working fine for me...

7. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

No doubts, no regrets, no returns

No idea why sales would be bad. I absolutely love my phone, have yet to be impeded by its 'lack' of features and have no qualms about paying the money I paid for it. The only thing that annoys me are the number of people who repeat negative nonsense they have read in the press:
    1. it costs 'x' - yes the handset is expensive but the inflated prices include contracts that they are all paying too (but haven't thought about) and are generally several hundred pounds out.
    2. You'll get RSI - entirely speculative but people like to bring it up
    3. it'll cause hearing problems - only in as much as any walkman/music player device can in theory cause hearing loss.

However, people are universally impressed by the screen, the internet, the google maps, cover flow, sms conversations, video playback, switching from landscape to portrait, the keyboard, photo viewing, etc Some will buy it and some won't, I couldn't care less.

8. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

interesting to hear that O2 finally wants to release a map. But so far GPRS was fine for me. It's good enough to sent mails and do the occasional chatting. But it's just too slow for serious internet browsing.

9. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007

10. page3 macrumors 6502

Well he's lying then, simple as that.

Excellent features. Excellent price. I don't know of anyone who is returning it, and why would they? About time the mobile market was shaken up - congrats Apple. Now get a move on with that SDK...

11. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007

12. page3 macrumors 6502

I can well believe that, even if it is a hateful thing! Antique OS and no QWERTY!

But really, do we care? I bought my iPhone because of what it does and how it does it - not what others think of it. If I did that I wouldn't own a Mac at all.... or a TiVo...... or a TVR (Americans, go look this one up). Life would be soooo boring!

Enjoy it. WE know it's great :)

(... although obviously far from perfect!!)

13. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I've kept mine.

I've already found it far too useful to hand back (plus i dropped it so there is superficial damage... but i wouldnt have returned it anyway).

14. casjohnr macrumors regular

I can't get a good signal on mine at work but get a perfect one at home.

My old phone was fine :(

It will force me to sell the phone if the signal issue dosen't improve which is a shame really.

15. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007

16. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Returned mine to Carphone Warehouse after a week.

It was non-stop bugs, Safari kept quiting on a regular basis, a lot of the time didn't respond when touched, movies would quit randomly without even being touched.
    All this on a handset a few days old.

Carphone Warehouse's EULA states that there's zero returns on the iPhone, the only way it could be returned was if you failed the o2 credit check and for no other reason.

Shady as hell when a company won't let you have a cooling off period, especially when everyone else offers you one, but found a loophole so got to return mine.

17. Daeve macrumors member

Well no - he's not lying, simple as that.

I popped into my local O2 to return my iphone in the 14 days (because I have already been bought one for Chrismas but didn't know when I bought one) and the woman there said exactly the same - as I brought it in in a bag she said "don't tell me - you want to return your iphone" I nodded and after taking an age to get it back through the system she did say that sales had been a lot slower than expected and there were lots of returns (I was the 7th or 8th that morning).

I'm gutted as I now have to wait till Christmas to play with mine - hopefully by then Apple have released a firmware adding the basics like mms, copy/paste, forward sms etc... Still I'm excited - and I saved £269! :)

18. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I wouldn't dream of returning mine. It is totally brilliant! :)

19. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am 100% happy with mine: perfect screen, quick response, the only user-friendly interface I've ever had on a phone, perfect syncing for calendars, photos and music, and I can take my specifications and invoices with me - in short, everything I bought it for.

21. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

As an earlier post said who cares who's not buying them. I love my phone. Yes it hasnt got all the things that other phones have but what it does have is the best ui the best iPod and the best Internet experience theres ever been on a small device. Everyone I've met wants at look at this even those with no interest in mobile phones or iPods. I'm quite happy theres not alot of us about. Most people choose pcs over macs. but when they walk in my house they always ask about the lovely imac sitting in the corner

22. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

23. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That made me laugh, particularly as my other half complains constantly the she is getting no attention! :D

24. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007

25. Truth24 macrumors newbie

I hope that people are returning their iPhones. I personally love my iPhone but I don't want to be one of zillions of people carrying one around in their pocket.

I bought my first Mac in 1987, and bought the the first generation iPod days after it was launched. I used to secretly enjoy being part of the the little Apple cult; I liked the elitism, I'm fickle that way. It's gives me little pleasure to be one of countless people standing on the tube with a pair of white earbuds hanging around their necks (that's why I bought head phones).

I hope everyone returns their iPhone but me.