(UK) Do the Genius Bar issue unlocked handsets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stiss, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Stiss macrumors 6502a

As the title - do the Genius Bar issue unlocked handsets when they replace your phone or do they lock to the first SIM inserted?

Thanks

2. Zandery macrumors member

I had my replacements lock twice from Covent Garden store, this was for the iPhone 6S+ on a phone I'd bought outright. Ended up getting a brand new, rather than refurb which they hand out more often than not, I'd seriously double check if you're expecting a new iPhone replacement as they're sneaky on that front.

In theory the phone is only meant to lock if you bought your phone on contract and you've still got it locked through your provider (EE, O2 or Vodafone), if your phone has been provider unlocked or you bought it unlocked, it shouldn't lock itself.

3. i-Liam macrumors member

i-Liam

If your original phone was locked then the replacement will be locked too. That was the case with me a few years ago with an iPhone 4.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I couldn't tell you about the UK, but in the US, the answer is "yes". If you get a replacement AT&T device a the Genius Bar, you can then put a request into AT&T for it to be unlocked. They will fulfill the request even if you are under contract, because the IMEI you are providing is not the one tied to a contract. So depending on how carriers work there, you might be able to get it unlocked via the carrier. So no it does not come unlocked from Apple, but you should be able to get it unlocked.

5. Stiss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the replies guys! It seems that they issue you a replacement that comes with the same lock as your original.
    I'll just get this unlocked by O2 for free and I'll be good to go.

6. daijholt, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I can confirm this is the case. Dealt with the Genius Bar a fair bit in my time, and they'll issue you with a device of the same carrier provision as your old one. Just part of the network agreement.