UK Domain Registration, Own ALL Rights?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Can anybody recommend Domain Registration and Web Hosting that you (the webdesigner) owns all rights, the domain and everything like that? I have heard that sometimes you register with them and they actually own the domain (website name) is this right?
    I'm building my first site and it's my own construction company, it will be a .co.uk
    Can anyone recommend one where it's all good? And those that can't recommend, how about naming and shaming the poor ones?

2. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

I learned about 30 seconds ago that according to GoDaddy's TOS, they can take your name from you if they decide they want it, or they don't like your site. I've got like 20 domains with them, arghhh.

I've got a friend that uses name.com, they're pretty good, apparently a helluva lot better than GD.

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

That's ridiculous, once the business starts turning over a few quid, or once you get a few visits they'll want a fortune.
    Thanks for your input buddy!

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I use 123-reg.co.uk to register my domains. They have a useful control panel to setup email/web redirection etc.

As for ownership, Nominet contact me (via email now) once a domain is setup/renewed.

5. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I looked at them and they didn't have clear indication as to who owns the domain. I tried to connect them via email or phone and after searching about five pages (specifically on how to contact them) there was nothing. I thought this was very worrying.

6. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

1&1 are good. I've read their TOS fully and they are fine. I never heard anything bad about their domain registrations either. I don't know about their hosting thought, I don't use it.

7. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks so who do you use for your web hosting?

8. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Generally what you have to watch for is hosts that offer you free domain names when buying a hosting package. If you use a reputable company to purchase your domain name and then seek hosting you will be clear of these sort of 'dirty tricks'.

123-reg is a great service (I have a domain with them) as is easyspace.com (I have one with them also).

I personally use hostmonster.com for my sites. I prefer to use hosting from a US company as you tend to get a much better deal than paying UK prices (my Scottish blood always finds it's way to my brain). Always check though that they have no issues with .co.uk addresses, should you chose to buy one of them.

People speak highly of 1&1 but I've never used them myself as you are forced to pay to host your .co.uk addresses on their UK site. You get much much less for your money.

For example the 1&1 Home package in the US gives you 120GB of storage and 1200GB of bandwidth per month for $4.99. Compare that to the UK site where you get 1.5GB of storage and 20GB of bandwidth for £4.99. Not such a nice deal.

Others speak highly of asmallorange.com. It's a bit more pricey but the service is supposed to be exemplary.

9. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

10. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I use Hostgator for most of my websites but I have some that are hosted on my own server in my house. You just tell 1&1 the DNS of where you host it takes about 2 hours to get everything up and running.

11. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Would you have to constantly leave your computer on to host it from your house?

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well of course, otherwise servers would be much more energy efficient if they could serve content without running. I use to run my web site from home as well when I first started.

13. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Yes. I have an old Pentium 4 running Debian Linux with an Apache server installed. I don't suggest this if you're not into that kind of stuff. I use it as a development platform as my paid host is much more efficient.

You also need to have a static IP address or you must use costly services like DynDns.com to point the domain to your computer.

You're better off using a domain service like 1&1 and pointing it to a cheap web host such as Hostgator which costs 10$ a month. I have no problems with them whatsoever and I've seen downtime only once: when they installed the newest version of MySQL. I have over 20 websites on a single 10$ a month package.

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm pretty sure bigwetfish and 34sp consider your domain to be entirely yours, check them out and see.

15. celticgrid macrumors newbie

celticgrid

For .co.uk domain name registration either 123-reg or 1&1 are fine. You own the thing. I'm sure there are plenty of others though...

For hosting, billybob has it dead right. I register .co.uk domains with 123-reg but have a hosting package with 1&1 US with far better bang for the buck (so to speak). Have previously hosted with 1&1 in the UK and apart from the value compared to their US operation have no complaints at all.

16. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

17. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Please save yourself and do not go with 1&1. They are an absolute nightmare when trying to cancel your subscriptions. I received a letter saying that I owed them money to renew my domain when I previously received a confirmation e-mail saying that no other charges were due. They even tried to set debt collectors on me :eek:

If you search on google for '1&1 sucks' you will find many other annoyed customers!

18. oli2140 macrumors 6502

That's not the real t&c, that's the terms and conditions for affiliates of the company (i.e people who own websites and want to advertise the host on their sites, they receive some money from 123reg for every customer that clicks through one of their adverts and registers a domain)

19. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks for your input, so 1&1 are to be avoided! Much appreciated thanks!