UK DVDs>US DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skwij, Oct 9, 2007.

1. skwij macrumors 6502

Now, before anyone flames me......I'm not looking to copy and distribute!

Right then. I'm a Hairdresser looking to get some educational DVDs, but they're rediculously expensive via the Hairdressing community's "official" outlet. I can get them on eBay for a tonne less, but they're UK releases.

I know I can watch them on either of the Macs here, but what I was wondering, is could I watch them on the TV, with the LG DVD player I have? The LG is new, as the RJTech died, and I know the RJTech could do PAL format, although it was pretty cruddy visually.

So, is there any way to rip the DVD to a US-compatible format that can be played on a generic DVD player hooked up to a TV?

I do have Handbrake, MactheRipper, Toast, plus CyberLink PowerDVD on an older PC (that I haven't fired up in over 18 months).

I don't know anything about this stuff, as I usually just burn AVI files and DviX files when burning DVDs. This Pal stuff confuzzles me.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. Again, I'm not wanting to do anything illegal, I just want to watch the DVD on the TV, rather than the computers.

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Educational and documentary releases are often Region 0 encoded, meaning they can be played in any DVD player region (Region 1 being US and Canada, Region 2 Europe).