UK ebay iPhone prices :eek:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RedTomato, Dec 3, 2008.

?

If you had to, where would you buy a UK iPhone (3G 8GB) from?

1. O2 UK = £350 + PAYG + warranty + 12 months free internet

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. eBay UK = £400 (not unlocked) + no guarantee + risk of ebay scam + still pay for internet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

So I was idly browsing the UK ebay prices for 3G iPhone 8GB completed sales.

:eek::eek::eek:

Lots of the completed sales are way over £350, some are slightly under but not much. I don't understand why people would pay that much for a second hand iPhone.

O2 UK offers a brand new iPhone 3G 8GB for £350, and you get the warranty on that, plus pay-as-you go, plus 12months free internet (usually £10/month) or you can use it with any O2 tariff. If you don't make any phone calls in a month, then no need to pay for that month.

If I got an iPhone off eBay, it's second hand, no warranty, and I still have to pay a fixed amount per month for internet access (£5-10/month from T-Mobile or Vodaphone or whoever).

If we value the O2 free 12 months internet at £7.50/month, then that's £90, making it basically £260 for a new, warranted PAYG iphone from O2 UK.

What's going on with the eBay prices?? I understand a little bit more for an unlocked iphone, but some of these prices are for non-unlocked. Some people are paying £400+. It's a similar situation with the 16GB iPhone.

I hesitate to call people crazy, especially when there's so many of them. There must be some reason behind their madness. :confused::confused::confused:

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yea, Money. Thats all anyone cares about now or days.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

It's generally because people think eBay = cheap, and therefore don't often shop around, and you're right.. it IS madness.

If I was in the market for a new 3G, as a gift or anything like that, with the prices of eBay, I'd just walk into the o2 shop and get a PAYG, and then if a contract is desperately required I could get a SIMplicity tariff and bob would be my proverbial uncle.

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I sold my 3 month old good ish condition 8GB 3G for £300 about 3 weeks ago
    I was happy with that price

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

some people just live in ebay... don't bother checking around anywhere else.. like the OP said, you can often get the product similar price or cheaper brand new with guarantee etc...

stupid really...

on the other hand.. if you're a seller, then you're lovin it :D

6. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

I think auctions go for less than 300. I saw one 250.

Secondly people from other countries also buying iPhone . They can not buy it diretcly from O2.