UK Edu discount benefits from Resellers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by biohead, Apr 27, 2012.

1. biohead, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

biohead macrumors 6502

After the hassle of my MBP purchase - it's been returned and I'm just hanging out for Ivy Bridge. But my question is this...

I'm a student at Uni who gets the Educational discount. The nearest reseller to Uni is KRCS who do provide the educational discount, at the same rate as Apple. This would clearly be the easiest option for me.

Not far from where I live, is the Apple Store in Meadowhall, but is in the opposite direction to Uni. It's likely my 2nd preferred method.

And then theres the online store itself, although I'd have to wait for delivery.

My understanding is that purchasing via the online store, I get the discount AND 3 years of Applecare. I don't know whether I'd also get the Applecare via KRCS or the hardware Apple Store.

2. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

Yes, you get 3 years of Applecare IF you purchase it separately. It's not included. Unless they do something different in the UK that I'm not aware of.

3. biohead thread starter macrumors 6502

You definitely get a standard coverage of 3 years IF it was bought on the online Educational store. You don't get phone support, but you do get hardware coverage. May only be a UK thing - and not for normal purchases. Higher Ed. only.

But does this also apply when bought in a brick and mortar Apple Store, or a Premium Reseller?

4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Hmm I'm guessing your living and studying near Doncaster or Leeds. The best bet would be if your already enrolled, all you'll need to show is your university student card, it you've enrolled for the September courses, then you'll need a UCAS acceptance letter.

You'll get the same discount benefits as you would if you went to Meadowhall, you'll have to deal with less people in the store, as hardly anyone really goes in KRC's.

However of you order it thought your university network you'll get additional benefits like three years warranty and you can buy apple care at a discounted rate, something like 60 pounds, could be worthwhile.

To reply to your qoute above, the apple store for higher education, is the online site, not an apple store.

5. biohead thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for that. You're right - live near Wakefield, studying at Leeds :)

I know I can get the discount easily enough, it's just the 3 year warranty I wondered about rather than the standard 1 year one. Is that online only?

6. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Hehe, thought so I live in Sheffield but know there are KRC's in Doncaster and Leeds, I really recommend you just order online and save the trip, you can get a number for the educational store and talk to someone about it, that would be the ideal solution. Or next time when you're at Meadowhall, just stop by.

7. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Its 3 years warranty because of our law if ordered online through the higher education. If you buy in store you will only get the standard 1 year.

(i have had a load of hassle with apple over this... and I bought mine online... i had to prove it was ordered online to get this... and i emailed and read out their own terms and conditions regarding this over the phone to get believed by the person on the phone...)

8. Primus84 macrumors 6502

It's nothing to do with the law and all to do with the agreement Apple signed up to, see here: http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk/

The discount is available online, over the phone and in store. The 3 year warranty is only available online or over the phone provided that you're accessing the HE store and not the regular or standard education store - you need to use a campus computer or use remote desktop and do it that way. But if you buy in store you can purchase AppleCare at a knockdown price and you can buy it online or over the phone too if you value the phone support it provides.

9. ri0ku, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

ri0ku macrumors 6502a

It is, if its a items contributing to an educational establishment or to someone who is attending in the EU that item has to be covered for 3 years if the item was purchased with an ID that confirms your place or employment at a place of education. This was explained at university and by apple themselves when they talked to me about it.

Edit: Was also mentioned that they originally would only cover a year but this had to be changed to 3 years.

You could also argue the sales of goods act to Apple but as people have experienced they do not normally apply it. In fact a lot of companies in the UK do not abide that law but there was a Watchdog episode a while back showing how it can be used and in what situations. Technically it can work if something happens to a machine if it becomes no longer fit for purpose. I would still just order online and get the 3 years warranty... saves a load of hassle and 3 years is pretty decent.

10. Primus84 macrumors 6502

You've been misadvised. The reason they offer the 3 year warranty was it was part of the package that a group of universities put out to tender and Apple won the contract. It is nothing to do with any statutory obligation, it is purely contractual.

11. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Oh ? We were told on our first year (I am no longer a student I graduated a year ago) that when purchasing any equipment for university be it printers or computers we were entitled to a 3 year cover if bought electronically. The apple rep on the phone when I made my first purchase in june 09 told me that Apple had to provide 3 years cover for being in education.

I just thought it was purely a law thing, it was explained that way to me.

12. Primus84 macrumors 6502

What I'm saying is right. I think the UK is unique in having this arrangement, I know other countries get academic discounts but I don't know of any others that get the 3 year warranty when the device is bought online or over the phone.

If it were a statutory requirement don't you think it odd that it only applies to orders placed online or over the telephone?

13. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

That is true but when i thought of that question I just though it was because they could see that you were accessing the store via a University network and was easier to see you were part of higher education.

14. Primus84 macrumors 6502

I see where you're coming from but the same discount (minus the 3 year warranty) is available in store.

15. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know, I was just informed it had to be an electronic (Online) purchase and was required by law for education institutions. Doesn't concern me though its just what I was informed if its wrong it is as it is and luckily you came along and made it clearer.

16. InTheUnion macrumors regular

InTheUnion

So what's the difference between the automatic three year warranty and the ~£60 applecare?

17. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Essentially just phone support. A new Mac comes with 90 days phone support - AppleCare gives you 3 years.

18. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

If the machine breaks they will send a someone round to pick it up, and you get free phone support, where you don't with the warranty. I also think that you don't need to pay for the replacement battery fee if it fails within the three years, I'm not sure if this is included in the warranty scheme.

If you live far away from an Apple store, the uplift service is definitely something to look at.

I think it's 49 pounds actually, I don't remember but definitely do consider the purchase, since you need to buy a machine in order to qualify for the cheaper price. You won't have the option to just buy it at a discounted rate after, if you do decide to buy apple care.

19. rogan macrumors regular

best bet is order it online through your uni's store, delivery isn't that long and the 3 years is definately worth it

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Full guide in the subject here- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

Basically the discount is available in store or online. Free warranty online only. No free warranty if you buy from 3rd party (unless the 3rd party offers one of course).

Apple are contractually bound to give a 3 year warranty online or over the phone. The salesman was probably confused, some of my friends got completely incorrect advice on the UK edu discount.

21. TheKingOfHearts macrumors newbie

I got AppleCare free for 3 years with my Uni discount, ordered over the phone, custom build MBP... (and a free iPod Touch at the time too)