UK Education Discount proof of ID?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDee, May 15, 2009.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

I am thinking of purchasing a MacBook in August and am looking to know:-

Did anyone successfully buy a MacBook without giving proof of identity somehow?

Was it via phone, a website or anything? I really need to know.

Thanks.

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I've had to show my student status in both cases where I've used it. On the phone I had to email my student card, but I got HE discount when I shouldn't have, and the second time in store where they scanned the barcode on the card.

there's been cases though where no proof has been needed. Just depends I guess but they should technically ask

3. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

In store you have to show it . Over the phone I bought without providing them with my ID. ( Maybe I was lucky I dont know )

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

If you want to buy without ID, the best way is through the website; you will need to access the website through the campus network (or use the university proxy if you want to access from home).

if possible use a the university email when you order.

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I got my MB over the phone with student discount as well, but I gave my university (.ac.uk) email address from the outset so it probably wasn't required for them to ask for anything further since it's impossible to get a .ac.uk with out being enrolled at a university.