Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Bottom line you need to buy it.

I am not sure if you can purchase it for the Higher Ed price of £58 after you have bought the hardware.

I have purchased a MBP, MacPro and two ACDs fromt eh Higher Ed store and in Store at Apple Buchanan Street, all for HE Discount and purchased the Applecare extension at the same time.

I would ask your local apple store for clarification if you can now purchase the full 3 year Applecare for the HE Discount price of £58.

If you dont buy it you only get 1 year warranty like the rest of the customers who buy from apple.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Confusion reigns......

Is it possible that purchases in-store at Apple Stores benefit from the HE discount but for some reason not the 3 year base warranty (but with the £58 AppleCare upgrade available at the time of purchase).

HE orders either by phone (like mine) or on the HE website are covered by the 3 year base warranty.

Reading the various threads here it would seem to explain the various different scenarios.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Anyone had any confirmation of prices etc relating to the HE discount & what EXACTLY it all includes & how one has to buy or if it is indeed free care beyond the initial year for HE discount buyers .

It's just the thread was getting a bit confusing :)

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
If you buy online you get the warranty extended to three years and the telephone support extended to one year.

Purchasing AppleCare on top of this is pointless - I'd imagine Apple will treat any defects in the products like any other and will arrange for collection of the machine. But, even if they make you pay for carriage you're going to have to go through a bunch of problems before it starts costing you £58 in shipping.

Greasybaz

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
I spoke to applecare earlier in the week about this. While the guys in the store believe I only have a one year warranty applecare have told me that I have 3 years warranty as I bought from the higher education site. Apparently the guys in the store have a different database to applecare as far as the higher education warranty goes. What this means in terms of having the thing fixed if it breaks after a year i don't know. Possibly a lot of phone calls and a great deal of confusion.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
^^^^....yeah this is all sounding very fishy too me too , I'd say if you have any bother with your machine after the initial 1 years cover you are gonna have a WHOLE HEAP of trouble , dealing with Applecare is (or can be) trouble some at the best of times without something like this confusing the issue .

Applecare dood have a word in someones ear eh :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.