Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I guess this could also be answered by someone who has had to transfer their eSim to a replacement phone....

Anyone know what the correct procedure is for upgrading from XS Max to 11 Pro Max when you have an eSim? I’m with EE currently but my handset is Apple upgrade.

thanks.

magicone

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
I queried this yesterday-you have to obtain a new esim pack either online (£1.50) charge or instore . You then use the new e-sim pack to assign your mobile number to the new iPhone.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I queried this yesterday-you have to obtain a new esim pack either online (£1.50) charge or instore . You then use the new e-sim pack to assign your mobile number to the new iPhone.

Thanks

Do you know if you can get the eSim pack well ahead of time? Only asking as when I got an eSim sent out previously, my old Sim stopped working once they shipped it which meant I lost service for a day or so.

magicone

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
Thanks

Do you know if you can get the eSim pack well ahead of time? Only asking as when I got an eSim sent out previously, my old Sim stopped working once they shipped it which meant I lost service for a day or so.

I asked for the esim via online chat and explained I would be upgrading from an iPhone XS to iPhone 11 and need to transfer my esim to a new device. So far my current esim is working without any issues and hasn't been disconnected.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I asked for the esim via online chat and explained I would be upgrading from an iPhone XS to iPhone 11 and need to transfer my esim to a new device. So far my current esim is working without any issues and hasn't been disconnected.

Excellent, just did it all over chat. Quite painless really

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Thats only if you order online to cover the postage and packing charges, you can pick one up from a store for free.
Thanks for that. Happened to walk past a store earlier today. Went I’m and asked, wouldn’t give me one to activate later. Said I had to go back to store when I have the new phone. They were adamant on sim swap being done there on the spot (as I have a X currently, that’s no good) weren’t able to give me a pack to Activate later

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Someone in another thread said that if you do the transfer thing from your current phone to a new one, it transfers the esim over too.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
No as in when it’s prompts to transfer when you put the phones together, it’s transfers everything phone to phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.