UK Exam Season 2008

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by psychofreak, Apr 21, 2008.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Well I just did my AS French oral, I did ok I think (considering that I wrote it and tried to learn it all yesterday, I'm just too lazy).

What are you taking? How confident are you? Am I just posting this because I'm nervous and hope others are too?

Personally I'm doing French, Maths, Economics and History

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I'm taking Music Tech, English, Computing and Government and politics, As level.
    My first exam is on the 2nd of may, are the languages done in modules?

3. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

French oral is done separately, then all the others are together. My exams go from May 14-June 4 now this oral is done.

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Ah i see. I'm not that nervous (yet!) but i know i could be doing more work (and less time on MacRumors:rolleyes:!)

5. iGav macrumors G3

Which is why it would be beneficial to all to abolish exams and change to ongoing assessment as a means of gaining qualifications. ;)

6. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

French, Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics. Start in 3 weeks :eek:

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hmm not really. Boys have been shown to do better in pure exam based courses and girls have been shown to do better in coursework based courses. You need to find a middle ground.

Personally I hated coursework and got worse marks compared to doing an exam.

8. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

I just did Core 1 and Core 2 Mathematics yesterday morning. I'm fairly sure I got everything right, but I can't rule out silly errors of course. I am however pissed off as I got a 5 mark question in C2 in the last minute and was stopped mid-way through writing my answer.

Oh well, I've got French in a couple of days, and I'm trying to revise the language for the first time in my life.

9. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I had 6 hours of exams on friday... that wasn't too much fun!

It'll all be over by this time next week however, i've just got music tech on the wednesday and three politics exams on friday.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have two exams on Monday and Wednesday next week, then two more on Thursday and Saturday of the following week and a final one the Thursday after that.

11. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hah same, did C1 and C2 on Thursday (OCR), got French on Tuesday (Edexcel).

12. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Yep, same organisations too. Then I've got Stats on the 23rd, History on the 2nd, and I finish with Economics on the 4th.

13. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Haha, same boards.. :) I'm a little worried about French, how are you going about revising for it? I need to practice some of the 150 words writing you get at the end of the reading paper, and then just vocab I guess? Can't really see an obvious way of revising for it.

And out of interest, last question of C2.. did you get 666km? I usually wouldn't remember, but it is the Devil's number and all..

I have French on Tuesday, Physics on Thursday.. then half term.. then C3 on Monday, Economics on Wednesday (same as you), French oral on Thursday, Mechanics 1 on Friday.. then 10 days off and Mechanics 2 on the Monday! M1, M2 and C3 will be a pain.. all of them.. :eek: I don't finish until the 16th of June.

14. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

I have a vocab book with about 50 phrases I'm trying to learn, I've got about 20 down in my head now.

Yes I did get 666, and so did many others, its definitely correct.

I'm going to learn M1, FP1 and C3 in the Summer to take in January, so I can do Further Maths A-Level.

15. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I'm doing 1.5 Maths, so I'm taking C1, C2, C3, M1, M2 this summer.. C4 in January (done half of it), S1 S2 and FP1 next June. I find C3 quite a jump up from C2. M1 is fine, M2 is pretty hard.. but apparently stats are easy so that should be ok next year. I also have the option of doing D1 at school.. so I might do S1 and D1 rather than S1 and S2.

Cool, I guess I'll just learn some vocab too! Good luck.

16. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I'm currently doing my GCSEs...

and well...

uhhh....

I'm clearly going to do well.

Ok, ok. That was a subject I don't care about where I'll only get half a GCSE anyway... but seriously, I don't think I'll do too badly.

I had my Music exam the other day and it was moderately hard - some of the stuff was a bit confusing and my mind basically blanked before the exam... and no-one told me the sneaky trick...
    the answers to the "name a possible composer for tis piece" questions are on the back in the copyright information...
    Silly exam board.
    But from what I heard, I got them right anyway.

I've got an English exam next week and then the rest of them in the following after half term.

I seriously love iCal now, though... without it, I would have missed many an exam or study session. I love how it doesn't have to be open to alert you of everything :) Good job there, Apple.

17. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Of the 50 or so phrases I wanted to learn, I learned about 15 and got 9 into my essay. I found the French paper hard, and I think I was too adventurous with my language, so we'll see. Unfortunately I didn't really know any vocab specific to the topic that came up.

18. nuffy12 macrumors newbie

Wassup, first post.

Doing A-Levels here, had my first exam today- PE resit, was ok not great though. I hate that unit, last year got A-A-U in PE. Hopefully can at least get a D or something, the anatomy and physiology just kills me. To me the science like exams are just one big memory test, gooooood way of determining who is smart.

Im doing, media studies, PE and business studies.

Good Luck

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I've only got 2 exams this time around and then I will have finished my degree. I have one on the 31st and then the other one on the 11th of June.

Can't wait until I have finished.

20. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I'm doing (in order of easiness) Business Studies, Geography, Psychology and Biology at AS.

I had my Psychology exam last Friday, and it went fairly well, except for the computer (which I do all of my exams on) losing 15 minutes of my work. :mad:
    Business Studies and Geography will be easy, but Biology is going to be impossible.

21. Woder-Woman macrumors member

I have a biosciences (chemistry, biology, physics and maths) exam next Friday...should be fun :D

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Good luck to all of you! I tend to remember this time of year even though it's been almost 15 years since I did my A-levels.

Enjoy the long summer!

23. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

It was tricky, I think I got quite a lot wrong. 140-160 word essay at the end was on a perfect topic for me though, knew lots of vocab for health, smoking, alcohol, drugs and stuff..

24. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Been revising physics all of today so far (exam is tomorrow) and had my music anthology pieces on play in the background.

Already done the physics and biology practical papers. I'm doing Music, Physics and Biology. I was doing Maths as well, but I had to drop it within the first few weeks - it was waaaaay beyond me...

25. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

For those moving on to other things after this exam period I am curious as to what they might be

e.g. killyp would you be going to uni to do a music related course?

And of course there is the long summer to look forward to :)