UK - expectation that other operators will support LTE quickly?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mrklaw, Sep 23, 2017.

1. mrklaw macrumors 68020

considering an upgrade from S0 to S3. If I go SS it has to be LTE which seems a waste if I won’t use it. Do you think there is a likelihood that this launch will encourage other operators than EE to update to support it? I'm currently with Vodafone.

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

It’s a technical limitation, operators other than EE do not have the hardware on their networks.
    I doubt it will happen for quite some time, if at all. The cost of implementing the required infrastructure I suspect would massively outweigh any potential profits.

3. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

I don’t think it will happen either. However, I did ask on the EE forum if once a Watch is set up to EE, is it locked to that network forever? Haven’t received an answer yet.

4. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68020

Does EE support wifi calling without your phone present? (So Watch is connected to a known wifi point)

If so I might consider switching to them as that would be useful

5. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I think the fact that after all this time there's still only one operator supporting Apple SIM in the cellular iPad (EE again) suggests this might take longer than people are expecting.

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Exactly. Apple SIM, Wi-Fi Calling, Visual Voicemail, and 4G rollouts show that e-SIM support will take an age. I mean, Visual Voicemail has been around since 2007 and I believe only O2 and EE support it, even today?!

8. Cowmonk macrumors member

Can't bring myself to switch to EE, can't bring myself to buy the non-LTE S3.

Any millennials able to help me work out what to do? :D

9. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

You buy the LTE and just don’t use LTE. You justify by saying your network might support it soon and you’ll be able to sell it for more when the time comes anyway. :D

10. Cowmonk macrumors member

It... it's so obvious! Thanks :D

Wonder when the LTE's will become available for pickup again. The wifi only ones already are again, guess they're unpopular due to lack of stupid red crown.

11. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68020

I just bought a space grey sport non LTE.

I figured it’s a big enough jump in performance from my S0 SS, and although I wanted SS I couldn’t justify the cost without access to LTE.

I squared it in my head by thinking that, by going for a more affordable model, I can upgrade with less worry in a year or two when LTE is more widespread. And I'd guess a likelihood of a form factor change by then too

12. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

I bought a S3 non LTE as I don't want to move to EE

The money you safe can buy Apple Care PLUS

In two years time I'm sure this will be better and more useful than having LTE which you never use or enable

13. odavies macrumors newbie

I really hope that Vodafone UK get their act together on this. Does anyone have any insight? I bought the S3 LTE version yesterday hoping they will come on board shortly. Love the watch btw!