UK file-sharers to be 'cut off'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Aug 25, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Bloody Mandelson, isn't it about time he got himself fired again?

2. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I still don't see how they will work out who are pirates, apart from the pathetic method of looking at IPs in torrent swarms, which has been proven time and time again to not work at all as it frequently finds the wrong people.

All this sort of stuff will do is encourage people to use VPN, proxies and sites such as Furk.

When will they get the message that you cannot stop piracy? At least not like this, anyway.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I do wonder when one day the gov will start to focus on frying the bigger fish, after shooting them in a barrel, that is. :rolleyes:

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

"Ooooooh, hark at her…"
    So, Mandy, define "hardcore copyright pirates".

Why doesn't he just f**k off permanently to Corfu and go sponge off his billionaire friends, twat.

Agreed. Easy targets like "forennahs" and "pirates" are all fair game for Labour.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hahaha, christ, that made me laugh.

But yeah, in all seriousness, nothing good will come of this...

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They don't need to stop it completely in order for it to be effective. If it stops half the downloading population from piracy, it will be considered quite a major success.

7. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

But it won't! It won't stop hardly anyone from pirating anything, like I said it will just encourage people to cover their tracks!

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register also have an article on this.
    What a cock. Just crawl in to a hole and die Maddy.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Former BBC reporter Andrew Gilligan is working on it. Mandelson and dodgy mortgages. Who'd have thunk it?

If Lord Protector Mandy has stepped in then you can be 99% certain that some money has been chucked his way. (Did I just say that!? ;)) (EDIT: ^ It appears that my gut reaction might be right!)

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Hope someone hacks his family PC and does a file search for p2p files. Bet either himself or someone in his fam have got pirated files downloaded..

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*pffft* Don't kid yourself.
    Our Master of the Universe, Baron Mandy of Foy and Hartlepool, aka Nu-Labor Kiss of Death, has got more important things to do.

This guy is seriously bad news — even his friends would agree…
    ;)

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

"Peter just doesn't get the internet..."

Who is batting for file-sharing proposals?
    Link…

Resistance is building… let's hope Mandy meets his Waterloo. :)

And here as well. Link…

13. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Here in the US, a bill(the higher education bill) was passed last year stating the following

14. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Cheap secondhand laptop, portable storage, and other people's networks -

Can the ISPs track and identify the person hacking/waltzing on to the networks of others?

Cheers,
    OW

15. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Nope. The guys who run the network might be able to find your MAC address, but that's utterly useless for tracking you.

16. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

How exactly can they tell what you are downloading isnt legal....?

I use iTunes and XBOX Live ALL THE TIME!

Can they tell that when i do venture to share a TV show with friends or upload work via online storage that one is legal and one isnt?

Surely in finding out exactly what people are uploading and downloading is a breach of our right to privacy??

17. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

They monitor p2p networks and send IPs on them to the high court, get the details, and send letters or whatever to the people.

The problem is that by the time the process is complete, that IP is usually being used by someone else, so they end up going after the wrong people.

The other problem is, like I said before, the people who do pirate will just take measures to keep themselves hidden and nothing will change.

18. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I would assume that the extreme pirates that they talk of are the ones who download GBs of illegal downloads a month, week or even day..... I know that my TV shows watching probably only accounts for 10-15% of my upload and download amounts.

Its always the same case.... some people take advantage so the rest of us have to suffer because of others' greed.

19. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

By others' greed, do you mean the entertainment industry? Because, honestly, the truth is they arn't loosing anything like what they are making out.

20. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Maybe a protester could throw toxic waste over Mandelson this time instead of custard?

How am I going to time-shift shows that UK networks are too dumb to put on their main channel till the 4th series, constantly move the schedule around and then just when they get their act together, lose it to a paid for but still commercial filled, Cable/Satellite only channel?

I need my fix to make up for all those lousy shows like One Tree Hill, reality TV and those endlessly cheap to produce C list celebrities crowing on about their top 100 favourite whatever type shows that just waste 3 hours of scheduling where they could be showing something decent instead.

I can't wait ages for the UK DVD releases of a show I've watched 4 seasons of. I'm talking of course about this show:

Attached Files:

21. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

That's another thing, I don't see why we can't legally torrent TV shows anyway. We can record them from TV legally to watch whenever we want un-DRM'd, but not download them... Why?

22. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

That's my exact point. It's basically time shifting. It's not like your getting something comparable to DVD.

DVD: - 720 x 480/576 Anamorphic Video, 24 bit audio, menus, extras, deleted scenes, high bitrate etc...

Blueray: 1920 x 1080, uncompressed 24 bit audio, menus, extras etc...

Xvid/DivX: 640 x 352, 128Kb Mp3 audio, graphical junk all over the picture from the network (ads for shows coming up, network logo).

Recording directly from TV with a DVD or Hard Disk recorder would only give you all the overlays and stuff from a DivX file, just at DVD quality. You'd still have every incentive in the world to buy the DVD.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Apple's iTunes store but as for "legal" alternatives to digital downloads, I'm sticking with music only after the experience I had when I bought an episode of Family Guy from the iTunes store...

It had a big black square in the corner for most of the title sequence with the logo "TV14DSLV".

It lacked additional scenes of the DVD version, you'd assume Apple would at least be selling the same product in digital form.

Why was it worth £1.79 when I can buy 13 episodes on DVD with extras for £16

23. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Yup, it's a huge rip-off.

I also see nothing wrong with ripping DVDs for private use. I mean, I've got a fully legal DVD which I can watch, and I just want to see the film on my iPhone, so why should I buy the same thing again just to have it on another device? It's utterly stupid.

TBH though, I highly doubt anyone will get done for ripping DVDs for personal use, same as with CDs (yes, ripping your own CDs is illegal too under British law).

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    When actors stop getting paid 10's of millions of dollars for a movie and publishers stop raking in 100's of millions in profit then I'll start feeling bad about having a few ripped movies on my HD :rolleyes: