UK Final Cut Video Editing Course?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by logicpro7, Oct 13, 2011.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    I am looking for recommendations to a decent UK based Final Cut Video Editing course that would be recognised by the industry.

I know the basics of Final Cut, but i am looking into courses that would improve my skills and also my chances of getting a entry job in this area of the industry.

I know it's experience/what you can do/show rather than what qualifications you have, but just a course recommendation would be fine! ;)

2. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the links... Thats just what i am looking for! :)

3. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not sure on either of these... Final Cut 7 or Final Cut X?

Also, Final Cut X - (Currently there is no certification available for this product. This is an Apple Certified course.)

Where as 7 says... (This Final Cut Pro training course covers the requirements necessary to successfully become an Apple Certified Pro, Level 1 in Final Cut Pro. Level 1 certification attests to basic operational knowledge of the application. This certification also counts towards the new Final Cut Studio (FCS) Master Pro certification)

http://www.sohoeditors.com/course_details.asp?n=A+Comprehensive+Study+of+Final+Cut+Pro+7+(FCP7+200)

http://www.sohoeditors.com/course_details.asp?n=A+Comprehensive+Study+of+Final+Cut+Pro+X+(FCP+200)

4. smokescreen76 macrumors member

I don't think a course is really going to help you get a job although it might teach you a few processes and shortcuts (that are also in the manual or in the FCP Training Series books).

You need to learn to edit by editing. Offer to help on any student film, music video, corporate film or wedding video you can. Make contacts and get good.

Also I wouldn't so much be concentrating on FCP right now as it's slowly disappearing from the industry. Learn Avid. Learn Premiere. Learn editing concepts and try not to get too caught up in the specifics of the software.

5. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Yep i agree with SmokeScreen, any training course will only teach you how to use the interface, learning how to edit is a different matter, and really only comes with experience. looking at the soho editors courses they are quite expensive, i think they are more aimed at people who know how to edit , but need to learn the software, i.e. if my employer bought an Avid to replace FCP i would be sent on an Avid training course.

If I'm looking at taking on a new editor, i really don't care for their qualifications , i would look at their reel, talk to them about the content of the reel, and then get them in for a day or 2 and see how they edit & how they deal with a producer.

----------

Another option is to go study at Ravernsbourne collage

http://www.rave.ac.uk/2011/06/28/fda-editing-and-post-production-industry-practice/

6. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Digital Lulu macrumors newbie

Hi logicpro7

I cannot disagree with the other comments, understanding the skill of editing is different from knowing how to operate any edit software. A flair for editing and an understanding of pace and storytelling are essential. Learn by doing straight cuts, fitting the jigsaw together, do not resort to dissolves or other effects until you master straight cuts.

Final Cut X is a stripped back version of FCP aimed at the domestic market, focussing on the main editing programme, however, I know quite a few pros who love FCX.

FCP 7 has additional items such as Colour, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion etc. You will not need to access these immediately. Right now, you need experience. I spent 6 months shadowing an editor and then still made a hash of my first edits.

Unless Apple sort out a professional solution regarding their switch to the domestic FCPX, pros will be moving to other edit solutions. I love FCP and plan to stick with it until my current Mac gives up, but replacement time is coming, no matter how much I kick and scream.

Soho Editors have a good reputation and you'll get a leg up with them if you have been on one of their courses.

8. mdcuk macrumors newbie

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

10. julesw macrumors member

julesw

If FCP isnt going to be upgraded surely the editing houses will move to fcpx or premiere, maybe revert to avid, i met a pro fcp editor recently who was very worried and was hoping his clients would be using fcpx or he would have to learn premier or avid to stay in work.

'Academy class' will offer fcpx training, no idea if it will be good.