UK: First Time Passport Applicants: Timescale?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey MR'ers.

As some of you may now, since I don't stop going on about it, I'm going travelling at the end of December, just before New Years.

I only sent off my Passport Application today - yes, I know. I, JDT, am an unorganised idiot.

They say to allow 6 weeks. As of today, I have about 7 until I leave the UK.

As people of the UK who have applied for passports before - do you think I will get it back in time?

Being a first time applicant, I am not allowed to have it fast tracked.

Do any of you know of any phone numbers I can contact to maybe explain my situation and get it pushed through? Or go and see them in person, since I know they sometimes interview people.

Thanks in advance, and please don't reply with ''You've left it a bit late".. I know :eek:

Thanks Guys'n'Gals :)

2. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

You should be OK — but keep your fingers crossed Royal Mail don't go on strike again… :eek:

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

OH GOD! DON'T EVEN TEMPT FATE! Find some wood.. touch it! Fondle it! Make love to it!

[As you can tell, slightly wanting my passport here!]

Should I move my flights back.. and... and... miss New Years in Oz :(

4. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Normally depends on time of year. In the months leading up to summer I've known it take 6-7 weeks. When I applied for my first passport in the February it took 4 weeks. Hopefully you should be OK, but if you've not got it back by the start of December I'd give them a call, they should be able to let you know how your application is progressing.

Enjoy you trip.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Don't suppose you have the number to call them on? :)

6. garethh macrumors regular

They send your passport using a private courier, so that's one less thing for you to worry about!

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

0870 521 0410

UK Passport office

8. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've had to get 3 passports in the last few years, 2 of them done as first time applicants (one to replaced a damaged one, one a lost one) and I've had them all back within a week.

9. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

You're making my day!

You didn't use any of the fast track services they used to offer? Or the 1-day interview option they used to offer?

Where are you based? What time of year?

Sorry.. just, ah, I'm :D

10. iGav macrumors G3

When did that nonsense start?

11. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

October. I think. I need to get mine, but I haven't organised it yet. Since I've had passports before, I'll just get mine fast-tracked when I need it :D

12. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Don't quote me but I think the 27th of April.. definately April of this year. :(

13. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks for that :(

14. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I used the check and send service at the post office. It's good because it means not having to send off documents you might not want to, and they point out any mistakes in the form.

15. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I didn't use the ''official'' Check and Send service, but one of my Fathers' close friends runs our local post office, so she checked it all over and sent it off Special Delivery.

Its arrived and been checked apparently, they're just waiting to see if its going to lead to an interview or not.

*PRAY IT DOESN'T.. I just want it back!*

16. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Oh.

My.

God.

It's Here!

Its Actually Back! It Took 2 Days! Two Days? 48 Hours? [from When They Received It] First Time Application?

Gosh. I Am A Happy Little Orange Man!

17. GordonCM macrumors newbie

I will be sending my first-time application away tomorrow (thursday 10th Jan) using check and send. I have a flight to Munich booked on wednesday 20th Feb!
    Yes, I am an idle fool.I am 27 and I did not desire to travel abroad in the past. So, JDT, being 18 may have had an easier time getting his passport. With me, they might think, "Oh, applying for a first passport at 27 ? Seems a bit suspicious," and request to interview me. If my passport arrived within seven days, I'd be as amazed as JDT. How soon do they have you in for the interview from the time they receive the application form?

Cheers,

Gordon