UK Folks Chill Out :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ducky280, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Ducky280 macrumors regular

Hello Folks,
    If you think back when the first iPhone was released, we had the same stories, not much stock, first come first served basis etc etc...

I don't know off anyone who cued up that day who DIDN'T get a iPhone.

Yes o2 have screwed up big time with the lack of info and the amount of different stories going about, but this is more chinese whispers. Plus the online ordering was a mess and there IT team should be slapped.

I 100% think iPhone folks can go into store Friday and upgrade - Because its NOT REALLY an upgrade as your taken out a new contract for 18 months, they are simply running a new credit check and swapping your number to your new 3G iphone.

If o2 DON'T let iPhone members upgrade on Friday = Its gonna get Messy as they screwed up with online Pre-Orders.... So its wouldn't be fair to piss of the people who made the iPhone big in the first place.

:eek:

2. Kerching macrumors member

Not sure what you are saying here... you obviously haven't read all the threads where it makes it clear that you can upgrade now in a store.

The only issue is the level of stock going into each store.

But apparently you know better

3. Ducky280 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I just said :) and until this morning EVERYONE was being told ONLINE ONLY....

4. spinalman macrumors newbie

This is NOT the same as the 1st launch. Price was the KEY factor -now it is not a barrier. There is huge demand for products that either will be sold out by 9am or don't exist yet (16gb, and white, and PAYG).

If I were a documentary film crew I'd stake out a store...there will be tears, bouncers, scuffles, and maybe a few scuffed elbows.

5. Kerching macrumors member

You seem to be 24 hours behind. Stores were sent a memo yesterday saying people could upgrade, so its not exactly new news you are spreading.

You assert that everyone who goes into a store will get a phone, i ask you to read again the Emails from O2 saying that there will 'a couple of dozen' ie around 24 phones in each store.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but the UK stock levels are less this time than when the orginal model launch.

7. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

That cant be right, if an O2 store is based in lets say a in a small retail park and not near a city or town centre, then yeh fair enough there wont be huge stock. But stores such as Bullring, Birmingham, UK, where around well over 200 people are expected attend in a day, they cant have only 24 or so phones! That would be the worst launch ever...

8. Ducky280 thread starter macrumors regular

:eek:

Am always behind.... I still think MOST will get the Upgrade!!!

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

well, we dont know that 100% but it is a possibility
    the iphone is being sold in 22 countries at the same time, i hope apple are well prepared - i have a feeling they are not

10. Ducky280 thread starter macrumors regular

p.s Marketing folks aint gonna say *don't worry we have loads*

They want people to turn up in mass at 8.02am... Makes for better pics for the media...

If only 2 are cueing as everyone knows theirs loads :) It would look crap

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I think that the memo was sent out on Monday afternoon not yesterday afternoon wasn't it?

Also, the email from O2 to a disgruntled customer referred to a few dozen rather than a couple of dozen per store, I believe, but I take your point. :)

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

According to various contacts I have within both companies (I used to write a lot about mobile phones and wireless technologies and was involved in projects sponsored by companies such as O2), the stock levels are low – a fraction of what O2 and CW asked for.

Can’t go into too much detail as most of what I’ve been told is strictly off the record - and to be honest, it’s not that exciting – but I did post a week ago that stocks were going to be very low. My contacts may be completely wrong – but they’ve tended to be on the money before on both iPhone and non-iPhone.

13. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Like the original iPhone launch you mean?? ;) That was embarrassing. A queue outside the Apple Store but all the O2 and CPW stores had staff outside touting for business!!

I would think that Apple want to avoid the same depressing scenes.

Having said that, a 22 countrywide launch must be hard to stock up for so I wouldn't take any chances.

14. Voodoophone macrumors member

Didn't Foxxconn (or however you spell it) report having 3million iphones manufactured for release? That would mean an even split of 135000 ish per country.

We know it will be weighted to some countries advantage, so how many stores will it go out to in the UK? Divide 135000 by that and we may have a rough as nuts guesstimate :rolleyes:

15. Badgerguy macrumors member

It's still really difficult to tell what will actually happen on Friday.

Whilst there is more interest due to the lower price, my observation of the last launch is that everyone chose to buy their phones at the Apple store - and largely shunned O2 and CPW.

This year however, it seems more likely that people are going to plump for buying at O2 stores - of which there are allot more around than Apple stores, so expect all that demand to be a bit more spread out between stores.

It's different this year to last year as it's a morning start time - I'll have to try and get my purchase in before work!

--
    BG

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple's stores are few and far between in the UK. The north east of the UK in particular plus Wales and Northern Ireland have none whatsoever.

17. Igantius macrumors 65816

That was exaggerated somewhat in the press – it did very much depend on the store, but some of the larger O2/CW stores had upwards of 30 people queuing a hour before the launch… whereas with others it was a case of ‘Please come in’ as you say.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

We can't chill out!

http://upc.*************/uploads/macros/OUTRAGE.jpg

19. spinalman macrumors newbie

Queues or not - they won't bother to stage manage that sort of PR. People buy the product because of the features and now the PRICE. This is so hyped that shots of empty shops won't make a difference. What will make a difference is the backlash from those that can't get the product.

If there are only 20-30,000 in the UK and 200,000 expressed an interest then there will be pent up demand for a long time. I reckon the Pay You go will be a big launch too in December.

The online debacle has achieved it's aim..rationing the first batch -OK it wasn't appearing to be fair, but the first 20,000 was allocated in a random way.

20. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I was just talking about my experience in Birmingham. There was no queuing at an O2 or CPW store I passed. Just about outside the Apple Store.

If it was a town with no Apple Store then I guess it would have been different.

21. tiggery2k3 macrumors member

tiggery2k3

dam right...
    questions wont be answered until friday... no-one knows for sure whats going to happen.

22. Igantius macrumors 65816

Oh sure, don’t get me wrong – there were more than a few larger O2/CW stores that had a lack of customers (although I didn’t know for sure, I had assumed you were talking from first-hand experience). Unfortunately, some very bad journalism made it sound as if this was the case all round the UK – although not a stunning launch for O2 and CW, it wasn’t a flop.