Carrier [UK] giffgaff is now an official Apple carrier!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cambookpro, May 24, 2014.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi

Just a quick note to anyone on here in the UK who's on giffgaff.

As of today, they are now an official Apple carrier. To receive the carrier update, just go into Settings > General > About and wait for the popup. Takes all of 15 seconds to install.

This means that it now displays 'giffgaff' in the menu bar, Personal Hotspot works (whoopie!), carrier settings are applied automatically after updates, and the Voicemail button now works. Visual Voicemail still isn't available unfortunately.

Hope this helps anyone.

2. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

3. Dave245 macrumors 601

I'm on giffgaff and I've just done that thanks :D i know some people complain about them, but i find them to be a great network. There monthly goody bags are brilliant value for money.

4. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Thanks for the heads up, just done the update. Just waiting for 4G support now.

5. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Got the update this morning
    Didn't know about personal hot spot thanks.

6. shortcrust, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

shortcrust macrumors 6502

Hot spot's not supposed to work with unlimited goody bags, but works for me at the mo.

EDIT: Oh. Apparently it's possible to tether but it is "strictly forbidden"! Waiting for the knock on the door.

7. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

8. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think I'll use it for the odd tether on the go to my iPad, I know it's technically against the Ts&Cs but I rarely use much more than 1GB on the unlimited plan anyway.
    I don't really understand why carriers do this - if you offer unlimited data, surely it's indifferent whether it's being used on a phone or a tablet? By all means cap it, or put a fair use policy on it, but stopping it completely for everyone, including people who will only use it in limited amounts appropriately, seems a little unfair.

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Thanks for the info :). Nice to have more connection options

10. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I wonder how strict they are and what action they take. Yes it does seem unfair. I also rarely use more than 1GB and would only want to tether once in a blue moon. I'd be happy with unlimited 3G and 1GB/month for tethering if the alternative is no tethering at all.

11. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

12. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Well, I tethered for the first time on my unlimited plan today. On my iPad (which is all I want it to tether to), it was absolutely fine on a ½ hour bus journey.

However, after I let my friend tether his MacBook Air to it, and it immediately kicked me off, and turned off my data for 30 mins :eek: I guess it serves me right, but tethering to the iPad seemed fine and used no more data than if I had surfed the web on my iPhone.

I wonder if it was to do with what he was doing on the MBA - I saw a uTorrent icon in his dock, and think he was torrenting (Yosemite, of all things....), so that may have caused it. It went off quickly so it may've just been they identified the Mac user agent on Safari.

Another person I know tethers using 3, but he can't even tether to his iPad. He has to use a certain browser (Puffin), which I think spoofs the user agent to seem like a phone. I'm not really sure how they detect it.

13. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I've been tethering to my iPad a lot and havnt been kicked once.
    I think using a mac and torrent at the same was a bad idea lol.

14. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yeah, not the smartest move. What annoys me is that he has a smartphone (Moto G) on giffgaff too, but it too cheap to buy goodybags, which are literally the cheapest way to get data in the UK :mad:

15. henrys macrumors regular

henrys

Can anyone post the carrier update file #

Might be in your iTunes folder if you updated using iTunes