UK H.E Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ichigo2006, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ichigo2006 macrumors newbie

I'm doing my Masters at Imperial (London) and for Christmas I'm getting the iMac 20" 2.4. :D

Does anyone know how much discount I'm entitled to?
    (is it true HE discount includes Applecare?)

Do I have to buy it in store, and will I need my Uni card or something?

Or can I get it over the phone?

Any help is appreciated.

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

If your insititution is part of the HE agreement, you can access the HE store from your college/university network.

Here you will get a greater discount than the normal edu store online.

Also you can pay a visit to your local apple store nd get the HE discount from there.

I recently bought a 23" ACD from in the store and the HE discount instore was actually better than the online discount from the HE online store.

Its worth checking the price of both the instore HE discount and the HE discount from your college network and see which is better.

Added bonus of purchasing instore is that you have your computer then and there, no waiting by the door for it to be delivered.

Hope this helps, and congrats on whatever you purchase!

:apple:

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is £836 for me inc VAT. I am not sure if the prices vary depending on your University or the region you are in though.

4. ichigo2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh OK, thanks guys (gals) for your help.

Does anyone know if with the UK HE you get some years of Applecare free? Or is that some rumour I heard?

Oh and before I forget - the discount allows me the free iPod, right? (it'll be my gift for my little brother :) )

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not sure I heard that rumour too but when I went to configure the machine the Applecare was priced at £58 or something.

The free iPod is only available if you get a computer while the back to school promo is running.

6. ichigo2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, that's before Leopard.....ah well, my brother will get the privilege of watching me use the iMac :apple:

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

buying a computer through the HE store gets you a unique warranty that's not the same as applecare. IIRC, you don't get free phone support, just extended hardware coverage. If you want the same coverage as the full applecare package, you can buy it

8. emil2007 macrumors newbie

Facts about the UK HE discount:

They don't ask for student card etc, but you must place the order from a university computer in order to get to the HE site (which is different to the normal student site).

Applecare is 50 pounds.

At the moment when you order a computer you get an 85 pound rebate on an ipod - this includes the ipod touch.

Emil

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Not really 100% accurate facts.

It is true that Apple do not normally request Student ID if you order online at your University/College network. However, on some occasions, they email requesting a scan of your card before it is delivered. If you call them to place the order, it is likely that they will ask for ID.

Applecare is actually £58.75 when purchased with an iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, or Mac Mini. Otherwise, you get a much less substantial discount if you don't purchase it with the Mac.

10. emil2007 macrumors newbie

Well, I'd say they were quite accurate - I'd never claim 100 percent accuracy though! :)

I was just extrapolating from my own and two other people's experience. I guess your mileage may vary, etc.

And Applecare is 50.00 exactly. Or it was a couple of weeks ago when I ordered:

Number Product Description Quantity Price Estimated ship
    MA623ZO/A IPOD TOUCH 8G-ZOO 1 169.36 BY SEPTEMBER 28TH
    S2366Z/A EMEA CC-HE Contract Uplift PowerBook 1 50.00 within 24 hours
    MA895B/A MBP 15/2.2/2x1GB/120-5400/128VRAM-GBR 1 940.00 7- 10 business days

Emil

11. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Technically you're both correct:

It's £50 +VAT, or £58.75.

Somebody posted that you get HE discount in store - is that true? It never used to be IIRC.

12. 119576 Guest

yeah, you do. my girlfriend got it in Sheffield; she just had to take her acceptance letter from uni (but i guess a uni student card would be even better)

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I'd also like to add to the discussion that it seems you get more discount if you use this link:

http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk (UK-HE, accessible only from within your Uni or college network)

Instead of any of the others that you may see. This seems to give you around a 17% discount on computers, whereas the others are around 13%.

I am pretty sure the procureweb link shows up the same prices as in-store.

14. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

As i mentioned earlier, check prices at the apples store.

When i recently got my ACD i also bought applecare and they gave me it for the HE price, if not better.

I would take advantage of the low price of Edu-Applecare, only 50ish quid and 3 years complete coverage.