UK hard drive offer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wayne s, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

2. abrooks macrumors 6502a

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

4. abrooks macrumors 6502a

True, which sucks. But beauty is important. :)

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

lacie drives are rubbish, had so many bad reports of these that I would never purchase one.

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Those porsche drives get hot, but every external drive I own is LaCie and I whole heartedly recommend them. They are also all we use at work and in my family and touch wood, the only problems we've had is the usual hard-drive death after a few years of use.

7. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Me too, ours don't get that hot, we have four and my two are stacked and have been faultless, one at home too is superb. Mind you, all are Firewire.

8. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at those and the iomega had better reviews.

9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have always used Lacie and I've never heard any bad reports and will continue to buy them, 3 fellow students own differing portable versions all with no problems. Don't you just love anecdotal evidence?

10. weckart macrumors 68040

There are plenty of horror stories with LaCie drives on this forum, including mine. They are noisier than most and LaCie never seems to design its drives with adequate cooling.

Pretty is not always better.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you chose your purchases on the evidence from this site, nobody would ever buy a Mac again :rolleyes:

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

My reports are from the university mac users email list which relates to about 300 people. Over the years there have been many problems with lacie drives (especially with their big discs). So I personally will never buy a lacie drive. ymmv

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Ditto

14. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

I've owned 3 Lacie's in my time - one went through several stages of breaking down (Firewire died, then the USB 2 weeks later, then the power supply), another's power supply died a week after purchase, and the third has been pretty solid, if a little hot.

I don't buy them any more, as my experience with them has not been that great.

15. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

4 LaCie drives here, from 160 - 500GB USB2.0/FW400/FW800.

Never had a problem with any of them. In fact, I use a FW800 drive as my iTunes library disk, and scratch disk. It is running about 6 - 8 hours a day, without spinning down.

I worked at a high spec'd film school, and the entire campus used LaCie HD's. No problems.

All of my friends, video artists, graphic professionals, digital media artists, musicians, all use LaCie drives with no problems.

16. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Hard drive recommendations are very personal. I wouldn't wittingly buy another WD drive as I had 2 fail on me when they were less than 12 months old. The only disadvantage I can see for LaCie is that they don't manufacturer their own drives so you don't know what's inside.

But anyway - to the OP, get a firewire drive. If you get USB, you may not regret it now, but at some point you probably will!

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Still its only anecdotal evidence. Remember, we only complain when things go wrong on these boards. Like another poster said we would never buy anything if we listened to the people on these boards looking for advice about Mac's.