UK HE student discount

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by badgerman, Sep 1, 2008.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

So today I could get the basic MB for £600 from Apple store with higher education discount (normally £699). When/If the new MB comes out will I still be able to get souch a good discount or do these discounts change with the time of the year and how long the range has been released?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Hold off for the Back to School promotion and the refreshed MacBooks. Both should be within the next 14 days or so....

The HE discount "should" not change but there is a possibility that the MacBook retail price might reduce - possibly by about 9 or 10% (in the USA - and should follow in the UK).

3. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

just to reiterate that, free iPod and cheaper macbook :D:D

I'm one of the ones waiting!

4. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, I thought that discount (~15%) was the back to school discount. So I should get that, plus an ipod (which one), plus a new model in September?

Happy days.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Last year's promo was "free" iPod Nano 3G (4GB model) though you had to pay the VAT (!!). UK does normally get the same as US offer which is currently a free iPod Touch (8GB) but till Apple announce we won't know. HE purchases also get 3 year Apple warranty as standard. Last year we got the new iPod models and who knows it might be the same this year. New iPods are rumoured to be announced next Tuesday (9th). New MacBooks possibly at the same time......

6. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is good, so we could get the base MB for £600 plus a nano, plus 3 years warranty. V good, I thought it would be either the discount off rrp or the ipod offer.

What were the dates of this offer in UK last year?

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Correct - base price for the MacBook is £600, Nano was £99, less £85 cashback from Apple (last year). So £615 for the MacBook and the Nano. 3 year warranty if purchased through the HE Store - on-line or over the phone. The jury is still out on whether this applies to in-Apple Store HE purchases (but you can upgrade in-store to full 3 year AppleCare for another £58).

Last year it ran from 12 Sept 2007 to 30 Oct 2007 (inclusive).

8. Quocy macrumors member

i rang up the apple higher education hotline and asked for a quote for the imac 24" 3.06ghz, as i'm not at university yet and cannot access their higher education store through a home network.

with the imac along with an additional 4gb of ram and 750gb and apple care without the higher education discount is costs £1,708.02

the same imac with the same spec with the higher education discount costs me £1,411.18! however i have to pay an extra £44 for the extended apple care! but £44 is better than rrp of £139!

i'm holding off buying an imac atm and waiting to see if there will be any speed bumps or changes in spec to be announced at the rumoured apple event on the 9th! i also hope they introduce the "back to school" promo on this date too! can't wait to get my imac!!! :)

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Please don't buy your RAM from Apple and save several hundred pounds.

Also HE purchase should be 3 year warranty as standard - AppleCare only gives extended telephone support and International warranty cover.