Uk higher education store and VAT receipts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ReflexReact, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if, when purchasing a subsidised MacBook pro from the UK HE store, whether you still receive a full VAT receipt, which could be used by a VAT registered business to claim back the VAT?

2. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Benjay macrumors member

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro from the UK HE store and can confirm that the receipt contains both a breakdown of VAT charged (including discounts) as well as a VAT no.

4. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I have. There's nothing anywhere in VAT law that says you can't be a student and eligible to claim VAT back at the same time. They make no difference to one another.

6. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

So if i went onto my uni network, bought the laptop in my dads (business) name, he can then claim it back! sweet, although when buying on HE store you dont get asked for a business name - however you can add it on the first line of the address!

7. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Yeah, you could. Bear in mind that your situation is illegal, since you're not using the computer for business use and are claiming it as a business asset. If HMRC find out, your Dad's business will be in big trouble.

8. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess not really as I work for him part time, i'm happy to consider the laptop work property :)