UK - How is your 3G reception/speed/service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anim8or, Aug 30, 2008.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hello all,

I missed out on a launch day iPhone 3G so have waited until some of the teething problems have been wittled away...

I am now close to getting an upgrade to a white 16Gb iPhone 3G, but wanted to find out clearly...

...How is the 3G service in the UK, especially Edinburgh.

Please post your 3G experiences if you have a iPhone 3G again i would love to hear from fellow edinburgers (whatever we are called :D)

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

In London, I routinely get 2.4Mbps with only 1 bar of 3G.

4. rajkbala macrumors newbie

Outside Liverpool Street Station zero 3G

After updating my iPhone to 2.0.2 My Phone shows full bar of 3G signal but when i try to call it just says Call Fail. If someone calls me it simply goes into voicemail. I have to turn of 3G to use my mobile. Does anyone else have same problem as well?

5. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Those who have reasonable speeds on 3G internet, but 1 bar of 3G... ...Do you get a lot of dropped calls?

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Some, yeah.

7. Alexxzz macrumors newbie

I'm on my second, I returned my first due to battery issues and call drops. The new one is much better and the battery life is better. I'm also getting more bars in more places. I live in Reading and very very occasionally get 'No Service'. Most of the time I have 1 or 2 bars of 3g and even then it is very fast.

8. Marky macrumors regular

Getting excellent 3G in Cardiff Bay and Newport Gwent.

Gets patchy around the Newport tunnel entrance (on the train) in both directions - but i should expect that, although edge holds a signal very very deep into the tunnel funnily enough.

I do notice on 3g the differring 'quality' of O2's different masts though, the mast serving the bay area is very strong whereas one of the masts serving the Cardiff centre is definately weaker.

Only once had a dropped call (it didn't ring just went straight to voicemail, I didn't realise until later that there had been a call) but it turned out that several masts in the area had been down for about 2 hours.

Overall I'm v pleased and somewhat relieved not to be getting all the probs we keep reading about..................................of course by saying that I've probably gone and jinxed it now haven't I! :)

9. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I get very poor reception just outside of Manchester. cannot even get an edge signal ( it comes up with a white dot instead so I'm guessing it's GPRS?)

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

The only dropped calls I've ever had with my iPhone has been when the person I was talking to dropped out.

When I used to be on the Three network.. dropped calls a plenty, their phones just couldn't handle a switch in 2G-3G or even tower to tower sometimes.

11. Psyxologos macrumors regular

has anyone noticed an improvement in signal strength other than the upwards 'adjustment' Apple did to the bar display?

12. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Used to have 1-2 bars of 3G in my room, now with 2.1 I have full.

13. synagence macrumors 6502a

Pre 2.1 in my apartment i got GPRS at best .... now i get 3 bar 3G and 1.6Mbps service....cannot complain here..

14. sibruk macrumors 6502a

2.0.2:
    2-3 bars 3G indoors
    4-5 bars 3G outdoors

2.1:
    4-5 bars 3G everywhere

I've always been able to get ~2Mbps.

15. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Thanks guys. But I am afraid I did not make myself clear. What I was getting at was whether you noticed any actual change in signal strength, like whether you are now able to make phone calls in places you previously had no luck in doing so. I did not refer to what you see in a graphic representation (bars) which Apple admits 'beefed up'.