Uk i4'ers - do they come unlocked.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tyranical, Jun 27, 2010.

1. tyranical macrumors regular

Someone told me they come unlocked from anywhere, as in I could buy a tesco mobile one and stick my o2 sim in???

Can anyone clarify this?

Cheers

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I'm not in the UK but I assume that they are all unlocked. A carrier subsidy might lock the iPhone though.

3. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

I would be buying on PAYG so shouldn't be a subsidy as price is the same as it is from Apple? The difference Is apple have a 3 week+ wait and tesco mobile have some in at a few of their stores.

4. yawa macrumors member

Using an o2 sim in a tesco phone and vice versa might work as the tesco phones run on the o2 network.

The only way to buy fully sim free is through Apple direct.

5. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Only the ones SIM-free from Apple are unlocked. The rest are all locked, though most of the carriers will unlock for you, some after a minimum period, some for a fee.

Since Tesco uses the O2 network anyway, though, you can use an O2 SIM in a Tesco phone.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I can confirm the above post, I purchased mine from Apple direct and have put an o2 SIM and an Orange SIM into it without problems (Both cut down to microSIM size).

My friend received his from Orange on the 25th and I have tried my o2 SIM in it and it says the usual locked message.
    I also noticed that when activating on iTunes you get the o2 logo with the o2 SIM and the Orange logo with the Orange SIM. Would be interesting if they show other carrier logos if you used one from somewhere else. (This is within iTunes on the activation page)

7. Damiantmc macrumors newbie

Just Curious

I know its been said that uk carrier iphone 4's are locked to that network but when do they become locked? are they already locked out of the box or do they lock when connected to itunes? I only ask this as if I bought a pay as you go i4 from say Tesco but then but my T-Mobile sim in before even switching it on, when I do the first activation thing in itunes would it lock to T-Mobile or just reject the sim?

Thanks

8. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

9. 03sho macrumors 6502a

I'm on a 1 moth rolling contract with o2 and I'm waiting for the white PAYG to come out before buying.

10. Misterfridge macrumors newbie

Can anyone clarify that this is definitely true? I'm on O2 and I'll defo get a PAYG from Tesco if this is the case. 3% Quidco cashback + Cheaper handset price than Apple + double clubcard points = good deal. Might be able to get it on work's credit card too so VAT free :)

11. androiphone macrumors 65816

if you buy a sim free iphone from apple then it is sim free for life

if you buy it on a network then it is locked to that network out of the box, and if you buy it from a store then they activate it for you anyway so it would lock it then and there if it werent lock out of box.

how the locking works: everytime the iphone is activated it sends off its IMEI or other unique device ID to apples servers that sent back the info to whether it it unlocked or if it is locked and to which network, if the sim card in it does not match the network it is locked to then it does not activate and you can only use the iphone as an ipod touch. - there is no lock to different network hack

12. realtycoon macrumors newbie

What about buying a contract phone from the Apple store? Will it be locked or unlocked?
    (I'm in Canada, and am wondering as the phone will be available unlocked from Apple Store and Apple stores here do offer the iPhone on contract)

13. Misterfridge macrumors newbie

I understand that but what I was asking is; does an O2 sim work in a handset bought from Tesco as the previous poster suggested? Tesco use the O2 network but does this mean the sims from the 2 companies are interchangeable? Has anyone tried it??

M

14. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Locked.

15. peterjcat macrumors 6502

I haven't tried it personally, but I have read that others have tried it and it's worked. It should work, as the lock applies at the network level, so that a mobile virtual network operator on the network (as Tesco is on the O2 network) is indistinguishable from the owner of the network for the purposes of SIM locking. It's also been confirmed that Tesco SIMs display "O2" as the carrier on the phone, as an added bonus if you care about that sort of thing.

Again though, I can't speak from personal experience, hopefully someone else can.

16. Misterfridge macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Peter. If anyone can confirm they've tried the above can you let us know if it's worked?!

M