UK Insurance for new MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sleim031, Nov 25, 2016.

1. sleim031 macrumors member

sleim031

Hi guys!

So after the long wait (survived the skylake and shipping threads), the machine came and insurance is what I'm trying to sort out. Given that this machine cost me £3k (unidays), insurance seems like a must have.

Now, I've been using ProtectYourBubble for my iPhone 6s Plus (never had to claim but everything was smooth with registering etc), but it only seems to cover for MBPs worth up to £2,500. I've look at some other UK insurance companies and its pretty much the same.

Anyone has any recommendations? Provided that the monthly fee wouldn't be something ridiculous lol

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Honestly your best bet is Apple Care extended warranty. That will cover you for 3 years (I'm guessing you're at uni). You can always extend to something past this point too.

I personally don't value a warranty as I've never claimed and always taken care of my devices. And in my experience people get into all sorts of issues when attempting to claim, there's a lot of T&C and what they actually cover can be very limited. Truth is insurance is a gamble, and they stack favour on themselves. For example 'Accidental damage' literally has to be accidental, if you spilt hot coffee over it this can be interpreted as misuse as you shouldn't have been drinking over the device.

Anyway if you're the sort of accident prone person I can see a value possibly. But make sure you read the T&C and find out as much as you can before signing up to something. If you're just worried about things failing remember you have a 6 year limited warranty on the device as standard (Which does not mean the device has to last 6 years, just that it should be fit for service).

Where did you buy the device? Most places will offer their own warranty. Otherwise Banks tend to offer warranties through your account. These are often better than a 3rd party.

3. Brookzy, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I wouldn't bother. Not even for your phone. These gadget insurers very rarely pay out cash - in the event of a claim, which will likely be rejected anyway, you will receive some crappy replacement device that is at best an unofficial third party refurbished item, and at worst an obviously used item of a considerably worse spec (which they will argue is "similar" and so acceptable). If it's a non-loss claim they will insist on attempting a repair of the device, again at their own, almost certainly uncertified, facility.

AppleCare, patience, and good manners will get you a long way for most non-theft/loss issues you may have with your MacBook. Once a bottle leaked in my bag and totalled my MacBook Air. They took pity on me and I got a new logic board and screen free of charge.

I'm not saying you should rely on Apple's goodwill or that you will necessarily get any at all - but in all honesty your chances of receiving goodwill care from Apple are greater than receiving a satisfactory replacement or repair from an insurer.

4. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

The best option is actually to buy from John Lewis if they have your config.

You won't get student discount, but you may get 3 years warranty as standard (check when they have the promotions). This means a nice saving of not having to buy Applecare. You can also e-mail them to price match to certain stores in addition to this.

Then you can purchase 3 years accidental cover for £80, cheap as chips.

I ended up purchasing the base non-touch model, 3 years warranty and accidental cover, all in £1387.

Had I bought direct from Apple, with student discount/Apple care, it would have come with £1421 and no accidental damage cover.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2016 ---
    I've had good experience from O2 insurance for my phone, the replacement one I got, I couldn't tell if it was brand new or not!

5. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

None of the above cover theft however and I expect this is a key concern.

Have you thought about your bank or credit card provider - they can offer good deals on insurance for certain items. Otherwise try Money Supermarket and see what the best deals are at the moment.

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

So John Lewis price matched a student discount?

7. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

A couple of days ago, John Lewis were listing the machine at £1307 with note "PRICE MATCH in action" or something (don't know who they were price matching). The price has gone up to £1349 today I noticed.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Ah I see, I guess they must still be price matching someone then considering the list is £1449.

9. sleim031 thread starter macrumors member

sleim031

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Fortunately (touch wood) I am a really responsible user when it comes to my gadgets. As I'm buying them with my own money, as most of you are too, instead of mummy and daddy's I know how much I had to put in in order to afford this, and that value makes me keep it like a drop of water on my palm. So my iPhone 6s Plus, despite never being dropped in a year of ownership, did get covered by PYB only because of theft concerns. I didnt get any insurance for my 7 Plus (wanted to get AppleCare+ but my last day to get it was this Monday... anyways I'll get an 8 next year and my limited warranty will go until then).

I am aware that the limited warranties go on for a year (thats why I'll get AC+ for my MBP just before my 1 year warranty expires). But theft is something that did concern me, especially because one of the people living nearby got their house broken into the other day. It would be exclusively for theft, because as a user I do ensure that no volatile use or items (water etc) are near the devices.

So, brief summary, theft is the reason why and for all technical issues I would hardly ever try to claim from anyone except Apple. That's why I will get AC+ on my MBP just before 1y warranty expires, and didn't get one for 7 Plus because I will be upgrading to an 8 and warranty will last until then.

10. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

Wouldn't a home/content insurance policy, which would cover multiple products, be the best/cheapest option?