UK iPad owners - TVCatchup on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LaNex, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Stardotboy macrumors regular

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Good find - works a charm.

Odd to call it TV Catchup when it's actually live TV as far as I can tell...

3. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the heads up, not so much Impressed with the Quality.... but liking the TV Guide.

4. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

It's been around for some time and I occasionally used it on iPhone. Works OK on iPad but compression is more noticeable.

5. InsiderApps macrumors member

It's still fairly choppy quality on my iPad, anyone else the same?

6. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Yep Quality is terrible, I read their Twitter and it says they will be rolling out a higher quality stream in the future (phew!).

Look at it, it's terrible :(

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8534/j1ow.jpg

7. DKatri macrumors 6502

Just watched some of More 4 with this and it worked really well. Quality isn't perfect but it's actually quite good. Some channels are better quality than others though. More 4 is, from my playing around, better than E4. Can't complain too much for a free service.

8. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Still can't work out how they keep going. Surprised the broadcasters haven't hit them with a million lawsuits over copyright infringement.

9. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

People moaning about the compression check their forum. It's in beta for iPad and they haven't sorted the compression/optimising.

Used the iPhone one for ages, just has a tendency to drop stream.

10. mikerr macrumors regular

When it first launched in 2007 it had lots of previous content like iplayer, but that was all taken down due to legal threats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVCatchup

11. LaNex thread starter macrumors 6502

From their FAQ

"3. Is TVCatchup legal?

Yes. TVCatchup is completely legal, and the broadcasters were consulted and themselves participated in a full review of the services offered by the site.

17. What are your relationships with third parties? What is your business model/Ad policy?

The site is financed both through nominal pre-roll advertising and through commercial use of the patented technology that we pioneered in the process of developing this service.

The modest advertising carried on this site from time to time is covered within Section 7 of our Terms of Service, which deals with the Member's agreement to the carriage of advertising. We do not link or insert ads in the middle of programmes as the broadcasters and certain video on demand sites do.

The business is a privately owned limited liability company, registered, headquartered and staffed in the UK (London), and, being a privately owned business, is under no obligation to publish either a public prospectus or detailed accounts to satisfy idle curisoity

Persons with a legitimate interest in the company are welcome to contact us direct via our published contact address for further information."

So there you go. (No link with them here, just a happy user who has been treated with courtesy and accommodation by the tvcatchup team since I've been using the service).

12. raymondkerr macrumors regular

i was able to use the normal tvcatchup site on the ipad, it worked fine for me.

13. kingsize one macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea how much data this would use for say watching an hour over 3g?

I imagine it's pretty high.....

14. daleksec macrumors newbie

How did you manage that? When I visit the normal site from the iPad it asks me to install flash!

15. henneth macrumors member

I also used the iPhone tv catchup and the quality was better then this...also, is it really quiet for anyone else? Who can I email to make suggestions?

16. LaNex thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

At the bottom of the ipad page there is a link to the forums. Go there and tell them your views (they want you to ;) )

17. oj6665 macrumors member

Can't complapain about a free service you have clearly not been on the app store

18. raymondkerr macrumors regular

Sorry I meant the iphone.tvcatchup site, before the iPad version was launched.

19. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I'm a big fan of these guys - will be worth its weight in gold come World Cup time.

The quality of video is actually better than I can get from the SlingPlayer app over wifi.

20. gazzrenn macrumors 6502a

gazzrenn

Wow!! How have i not found this before.... thanks for the heads up OP!

Just watching E4 in the office now to find out how live it is!

21. alFR macrumors 68020

Are they still asking for you to sign up to the site (i.e. "please sell my email address to spammers")? I stopped using it when they started doing that with the iPhone version...

22. G.O.B macrumors member

If you're so concerned about that, set up a fake hotmail address and use that. It takes all of 2 minutes to do, and you're away.

23. alFR macrumors 68020

Fair point. I've been meaning to set up a dummy mail address for that purpose for a while actually, this might finally make me get organised to do it. ;)

24. pfft macrumors regular

The reason it's legal is that there is a 1 minute delay on the streams so therefore it's technically not "live" tv and there's a loophole that allows this to be done.

It's all above board and completely legal.