Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What model are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gadget.guy

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Yorkshire
one bit of advice for anyone considering buying any of the cheaper compatible apple wallets on amazon or knockoffs to give their correct title lol i wouldn't bother they are far far cheaper but the magnets are dire it'll still come in useful as a seperate small wallet but they only fit 2. i'll see how it works with a magsafe case at some point but on non magsafe cases they don't stick very well.

Why i try to save money on getting cheap knockoffs rather than going for quality but pricey alternatives from apple themselves i don't know i'm just about to spend 2k on a gaming pc and yet will try to save on a cheap leather wallet lol

Ebbsandfloes

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
I find my clear silicon the nicest, it’s a cheap, why not try one to start only £5 or so, as mentioned mine came free in a pack with screen savers and lens savers, why cover a beautiful piece of engineering if not absolutely necessary?

You get ONE and only one chance to get a screen saver on a brand new phone the second you take the protective front off, with this kit you can’t go wrong, you get a frame you quickly clip on then peel the back off the screen protector and lay it in top first and it just fits perfectly checking all air is out, then clip off the frame and put on the cover, I didn’t bother with the lens caps, you get 3 screen covers https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HV9HSB1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks pretty good for the price. Thank you I’ll check it out even if it’s just a short term fix.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
one bit of advice for anyone considering buying any of the cheaper compatible apple wallets on amazon or knockoffs to give their correct title lol i wouldn't bother they are far far cheaper but the magnets are dire it'll still come in useful as a seperate small wallet but they only fit 2. i'll see how it works with a magsafe case at some point but on non magsafe cases they don't stick very well.

Why i try to save money on getting cheap knockoffs rather than going for quality but pricey alternatives from apple themselves i don't know i'm just about to spend 2k on a gaming pc and yet will try to save on a cheap leather wallet lol
Yep. Avoid like the plague. I have heard reports that the magnets are awful and i bet there is no shielding against damage to cards

Reactions: gadget.guy

gadget.guy

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Yep. Avoid like the plague. I have heard reports that the magnets are awful and i bet there is no shielding against damage to cards
good point even more of a reason to avoid

quite a well known brand i've had cases from them before it'll go in that draw which we all have where we keep our unused stuff that might come in useful some day.

gadgetpete

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2020
Looks pretty good for the price. Thank you I’ll check it out even if it’s just a short term fix.
This is another case that I have owned in the past, twice in fact, I had it for my Xs Max, its a folio case but they do standard cases as well, the leather is top notch Italian and looks, feels and smells of real leather, they are doing a Black Friday deal at the moment and you get £10 off (and an extra £3.99 off if you put in code NODUS10 at checkout).

I have attached a picture of my 2yr old folio case next to the iPhone 12 Pro Max leather case for info, bear in mind its 2yrs old and the standard case will look slightly different to the folio, hope it helps.

Attachments

• GAl6MkbqT%yH9aeWxjNpgA.jpg
    GAl6MkbqT%yH9aeWxjNpgA.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 44
  • rFqXqaByRCqpWOLYhMD8SQ.jpg
    rFqXqaByRCqpWOLYhMD8SQ.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 41

gadgetpete

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2020
I have had a magnetic MagSafe type holder delivered via Aliexpress from China and its SUPERB, perfect grip of magnets on the bare phone and charges as a normal lead would dependent on your 12v charger output.

You can buy it with the vent clip that it sticks to as a set, or buy it stand alone to stick on your existing magnetic holder, the input is USBC, you get a lead but may want a longer one, you can also fix the stand alone one anywhere and stick your phone to it, its down to imagination ?

The cheaper one is without the vent clip, the magnetic part os covered in rubber so metal to metal contact.

Ebbsandfloes

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
This is another case that I have owned in the past, twice in fact, I had it for my Xs Max, its a folio case but they do standard cases as well, the leather is top notch Italian and looks, feels and smells of real leather, they are doing a Black Friday deal at the moment and you get £10 off (and an extra £3.99 off if you put in code NODUS10 at checkout).

I have attached a picture of my 2yr old folio case next to the iPhone 12 Pro Max leather case for info, bear in mind its 2yrs old and the standard case will look slightly different to the folio, hope it helps.

Thanks for that I’ll check these out too. I was always weary of leather cases just because of how they may ware but I am certainly warming to the idea of housing the new iPhone in one.

Not “feeling” the apple mag safe ones so this could be a good alternative. Thanks for the advice.

gadgetpete

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2020
Belkin MagSafe car mount has arrived incase anyone wanted to see. (Ignore the messy bed!) fits on quite nicely.
Blimey thats a big old ugly lump of a thing, its sure going to make your vehicle dash look pretty...... not! and then you need to buy a powerful 12v charger for it, just off to check my Apple share price to ensure they have had their cut :D

GO_GO

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
There's a gap gate issue in iPhone 12 Pro Max which seems to be like a manufacturing defect. Have a look in the video before you buy.

gadgetpete

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2020
There's a gap gate issue in iPhone 12 Pro Max which seems to be like a manufacturing defect. Have a look in the video before you buy.
Not an issue the screen is glued down ?

Go to 0:46 here in this video as 1.7 million others have to see how it comes apart ;)

Last edited:

gadgetpete

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2020
Otterbox Strada case for iPhone 12 Pro Max RRP £42.99 on offer for £22.43, discount shown at checkout, handy for tough days out ?

gadgetpete

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2020
iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB in Silver available for next day delivery from John Lewis, in stock

Pacific Blue 512GB also available

jahin17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2016
London
Blimey thats a big old ugly lump of a thing, its sure going to make your vehicle dash look pretty...... not! and then you need to buy a powerful 12v charger for it, just off to check my Apple share price to ensure they have had their cut :D
No need for a charger, got a cable that’s plugged into the USB port of my car and works well. It is quite big on the dash tho.

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
No need for a charger, got a cable that’s plugged into the USB port of my car and works well. It is quite big on the dash tho.

No wireless charging on this mount brings me a thought how Apple thinks to details or being cheapo. I guess they take factor in capability of 20W charging in car. I may be wrong. There may have adapter for in-car 20W charging capability. Overthinking in mid-week

I have ordered this big guy and still waiting. Me like shiny stuff

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.