UK iPhone (2017) X(Ten)/8/8+ Pre-Orders and Dispatch Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jinjin, Sep 7, 2017.

?

What model are you ordering?

1. iPhone 8 64GB

47 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. iPhone 8 256GB

16 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. iPhone 8 Plus 64GB

78 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB

58 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. iPhone X 64GB

362 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. iPhone X 256GB

564 vote(s)
    45.8%
  7. None... I am sticking with my current phone

107 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It’s not pointless as this year you are still going to need to pay £700 upfront each year. Annual upgrades are a far better idea from a Financial point of view by not needing to pay out so much all in one go

2. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Its worth keeping an eye on HotUKDeals for EE Sim Only deals.

Also, if you have BUPA medical cover, sign up for BUPA rewards and you can get up to 20% off sim only plans.

I get Unlimited mins, texts and 30Gb 4GMax for £19/month.

3. rossy100 macrumors 6502

No you don't - Apple payments plan or just use an interest free card and split cost monthly. I guarantee it will always work out cheaper overall to buy handset sim free.

Year 1: Purchase handset on interest free option with payments split over 24 months (or 20 months with Apple payments)
    Year 2: Sell handset, use proceeds to clear finance. Start again

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Not everybody is in a position to pay for a device sim only upfront. Least by doing an annual upgrade on contract you don’t need to worry about doing all the hassle of selling your device each year and trying to get good value back. You pay a low upfront cost and just pay monthly and start again the year after.

You’re paying a lot anyway so it’s not like it cost wise it is making much difference. I’m sure on EE it is going to be around £80 a month depending on if you go for the lower data option or the 100GB of data which they are offering with the iphone x.

5. rossy100 macrumors 6502

I think there are wires crossed here. My point is that you don't need to pay out up front.

By purchasing through network you are effectively paying off the device over the 24 months of the contract anyway, only you then have to pay higher line rental charges than if went sim free. So putting on a credit card or doing Apple Payments is effectively exactly same but cheaper as lower line rental.

Using 64GB iPhone X as an example (as EE have released Plan info for that model):
    EE: 15GB data - 49.99 up front and 77.99pm. After 12 months hand back and start again.
    Sim free: £999 on interest free paid over 24 months = £41.63 + around £18pm for comparable sim only plan = £59.63pm. After 12 months will get more for phone than the £500 left to payoff - so are in no worse position than on EE contract!

So only downside is having to sell phone, but even the buyback sites will give you the money you need, so really isn't much of a hassle other than packaging and posting!

6. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I put away so much money each month into my Apple fund. That way I can buy outright and stay on my sim only deal at £12 a month.

Better that way than giving it the phone companies.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

No I meant if i was to buy sim only i would need to pay £700 upfront if i got back say £410 for my old iphone.

I saw the prices that EE have put up for the 64GB. My understanding is that tariff could change once the 256GB tariff price is out from what a few people from EE were saying.

If you look at those contract tariffs you would imagine they should be over £90 a month or even more than that. Until that time comes it’s hard to know what it will be. Sadly i bet they won’t release the tariff for the 256GB model won’t be until the morning of pre orders going live.

I’m looking at all options at the moment. Apple payment plan is certainly an option even if it is more hassle to sell your old device and start again. I think out of everything the apple upgrade program might make the most sense. I think the phone will be easier to get than say with EE starting on contract who are known for not having enough stock on launch day.

8. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

IUP is the easiest route as it takes away the risk of iPhone resale prices plummeting and suddenly you have to pay out a lot more upfront to upgrade and for me I would honestly pay the extra for peace of mind.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

10. technoholic macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this, I'm a Bupa member but didn't know about this. I managed to get 20% off the current 20Gb deal but not on the 25Gb deal, which is what I would want if I was going to get it now. I might wait till Black Friday but it would be good to get it swapped now. Do you know if the 20% is supposed to work on the better deal also?

11. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Honestly I'm not sure, all I know is that you can get 20% off some plans? It used to be sim-only plans only, but it seems to have changed. Definitely worth looking at!

FYI you get money off at the Apple Store too!! Not on brand new things, but once they have been out for a couple of months, you can get up to 10% discount.

12. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

I don't understand why more people don't do this (subject to credit status of course).

I need an Apple fund though I suppose I do have a monthly Apple budget :D
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    8.01am on 27 October can't come quick enough!

This wait has me obsessing over the S3 Apple Watches. As stated earlier in thread I currently have the SSSB with Milanese loop but I don't like the look of it on me so am returning. I have a silver stainless steel with white sport band on order from launch day (due 24-31 October) but I keep looking at the Hermes editions with their lovely straps and exclusive watch faces and thinking how nice they look!!

Now thinking about ordering one of the S3 Hermes watches and and sticking with my 7+ if I cannot get an X within a reaonable time frame i.e during 2017.

13. danny3103 macrumors member

I’m just waiting for carriers to release the handset costs when you upgrade. Seed to only show new contract upfront fees which are usually considerably less!

14. technoholic macrumors 6502a

I managed to get it working, thanks again. Do you think £20/month is a good deal for 25gb EE Max plan? I know there was the 17.99 deal for 30gb a while back but that's not available now, to new customers anyway.

Is it likely Black Friday deals could beat that?

15. rossy100 macrumors 6502

I'm currently on EE £16.50pm for 16GB data. Signed up last year prior to iPhone 7+ launch. Once I know when I'll be getting my X I might give EE a call to see if they can offer anything better (e.f. the 30GB for £17.99).

16. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

FWW I think the £20 EE deal is a decent deal but since certain eligible peeps including students can get 10 or 20% off this you could maybe try to shave a couple of quid off or get extra data.

17. technoholic macrumors 6502a

That deal, £20 for 25gb data, is with a 20% discount I can get, the usual price for this deal is £26

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

Just had a ping from DPD to say my Apple Watch will be delivered tomorrow, between 12pm & 1pm. ⌚️

19. Damon2 macrumors regular

Why would you need to pay £700 upfront?
    Just get a sim only and stick the iPhone on the payment plan.

Not to jump in but im not understanding your train of thought here.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you are buying sim free it would be £700 to pay plus the £400 i would get for my own device. So i would still need to pay £700 of my own money without the cost from the old device.

21. Damon2 macrumors regular

Huh.
    Dont buy it sim free?

Like some of us have already stated get the iPhone on the payment plan and get a sim only... :)

You wont have to pay £700.

Maybe im just missing totally obvious here that I've not picked up during the discussion?

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I was simply talking about the option if i was to buy sim free. That’s not the route i’m Going for.

It’s either apple upgrade program/payments or through EE on contract wether that be monthly or a sim only contract.

All depends on what the quickest route will be.

23. Damon2 macrumors regular

Ahh understood.

As days tick buy Im leaning towards the X from my 7:eek:
    Still think its terribly overpriced, but theres something about it.

Now just the storage and colour to decide on.
    64gb or 256 space grey or silver

Was going to buy it outright but its the pricing is eye watering, so may do the Payment plan for 20 months. Still would have much rathered If it was still only £32.50 coming out of my bank over the potential £45-55.:rolleyes:

Though I guess at the moment Im lucky as my sim only plan is covered through work

24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Well I’ve just paid out £74 for the 29w charger and lightening USB type C cable and got the nike series 3 watch for £429 so i kind of put myself all in for the iphone x. Will go for the space grey or black which is what it is.

Problem i have is wether to get the sim only deal with EE now or wait till their contract tariffs come out. Issue is their deal of 25GB of data for £26 a month ends on the 24th october. So not sure what that would be without the deal.

No doubt the on contract tariff on EE will be 100GB of data and limited texts and mins but you have to wonder how much the monthly cost will be for the 256GB model.

25. Damon2 macrumors regular

Yeah your definitely all in, I'll be sticking with my 12W charger seems suffiencent.

And dont you have a 14 day cooling off period for EE contracts, worse case scenario you could take it out closer to the X release and cancel it If you see something better with EE for the 256 X.

Not the most ideal of things but would stop you kicking yourself if the X 256 EE deals are rubbish.