Uk Iphone 3g In Florida.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAN212222, Jul 23, 2009.

1. DAN212222 macrumors newbie

hi guys hope every one is well....

just need some advice, im off to florida next month, and i plan to take my iphone 3g so i can keep in touch with friend and family via face book and for the maps feature....

i was wondering do at&t have a top card which offers data usage, and if so can i use it on my uk phone while in america? if not i will have to pay 20 quid for 10 mb with 02 data usage.... never really checked how much i use but will 10 mb be enough for checking where i am and facebook?

sorry for the long question any advice would be much appreciated..

cheers

dan

2. MeWhOeLsE macrumors member

1) You won't be able to put an ATT sim card in, the phone is locked to O2 specifically, not just "iphone carriers"

2) I would really doubt 10MB is enough, especially when loading maps, you could try monitoring your usage before you go and work out if you use less that 10MB.

If you want to reduce usage, turn off data when not using it (when abroad turn data roaming off to stop data), and try to avoid data intensive apps, such as maps. (Which doens't use tons, but it may add up)

3. saldawop macrumors regular

Jailbreak, and then unlock your iPhone . Then you will be able to use any US PAYG sim( An American will be able to tell you which is the best, but from what I have heard the choice isnt that great??)

4. Macnator macrumors 6502

Sorry to hijack thread but I so want this answered. If you unlock your iPhone to use on another carrier's network say AT&T if you travel to the US from Canada, does it still cost you roaming charges or what?

The whole unlocking thing has me soooooo confused. Is it basically free to use your iPhone on other carriers if it's unlocked?

5. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

If you unlock the phone and take it to another country, it's for the purpose of using a sim card from that country, usually on a pay-as-you-go basis. So you wouldn't be using your current plan/carrier at all. You would be purchasing a new prepaid plan in that country, and then inserting a new sim card into the phone for the duration of your stay. In the US, I don't think AT&T supports prepaid with the iphone, so I would go to a T-Mobile retailer in the US, sign up for a pay-as-you-go plan, and insert one of their sim cards, and off you go. Make sure of what the cost of the data is on that plan in addition to the minutes. Hope this helps.