UK iphone 3G users on O2 / What's next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theviewer2009, Jul 27, 2009.

1. theviewer2009 macrumors newbie

Interesting discussion I think.

Aimed at the few million who took out Iphone 3G with O2 during the first month of release. Our contracts are set to expire in another 5 months. 6 months after the release of the 3GS and 6 months before the NEXT iphone.

Most of us feel screwed by O2 for the stupid upgrade options. Personaly, i was guarenteed by O2, a free iphone upgrade everytime one was released. My question is what do you think O2 will do when a few million contracts are set to expire on the same date and most of them will stay with the iphone. Will they be phoning everybody up and offering awesome offers?

What will you do? Will you get the 3GS and then miss out on the next Iphone? Will you wait, contract free, for 6 months and then get the NEXT Iphone?

Personaly, unless O2 offer a crazy deal of giving me the 3GS and then upgrading me in 6 months to the next one, I wont sign another contract and just carry on with my 3G at a much cheaper rate untill the next Iphone comes and upgrade to that. i think most of you will be doing the same.. but I'm sure O2 wont be happy with a few million people being contract free and be free to move elsewhere as and when they choose

DISCUSS!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm going to let my contract expire and go to a Simplicity 30 day contract.

I'm not bothering with the 3GS and will wait until the next upgrade. Hopefully, O2 will lose the exclusive on the iPhone and I'll have more of a choice for my next iPhone.

3. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

exactly what il do.

4. saldawop macrumors regular

Im on a contract with the 3G BUT I couldnt wait for the 3GS so bought one on PAYG . Will stick with my contract ,see what happens next June/July WRT a new model and decide what I want to do then.

5. charltonx macrumors member

I'm going to wait a further 6 months and see what happens.

I didn't feel screwed by O2 though, I signed for 18 months so that's just the way it is, and personally I'm still more than happy with my 3G.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of more carriers having the iPhone, O2 are ok but I've heard good things about Orange 3G in my area so it will definitely be worth a look.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I have no problem with the contract or upgrade policy.

I have had a major fraud / customer service problem with O2 which has only just been sorted in my favour. The treatment I received was appalling and the only reason I will stay with them after my contract expires is the iPhone. :mad:

7. SteveyAsp macrumors newbie

I agree, no-one was screwed by 02 like any other handset we signed up to an 18 Month contract end of.
    I bought a 3GS PAYG and will probably move to simplicity in January.

8. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Because i went from 2g - 3g upon launch o2 appear to have mucked up my contract, if i sign into "My O2" my contract expiry date is may 2009, after hours of arguing with O2 they said it would take 2 weeks to sort out my account, that was 3 weeks back now, and still no change, im not sure if this will hinder anything upon my actual contract expiry, but i dont think i'll be staying with o2, due to the lack of professionalism shown. I'd prefer to unlock it and use it with someone else. i just dont know, but i wont be getting a 3GS, its not enough of an upgrade compared to the 2G to 3G one we all enjoyed.

9. Beaverfish macrumors regular

Just wait and see, and prey that the the new phone in june is on orange.........

10. dazey macrumors 6502

I have had enough of O2. In london the service is not as good as I used to have on orange (in terms of failed calls, people going straight through to voicemail without the phone ringing etc.) so I bought a 3GS P+Go and after my O2 contract is up I am going to look at moving to the orange sim only deal.

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

12. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Chances are I will jailbreak and get a SIM only contract with 3. Their 3G coverage is so far ahead of O2 it is embarrassing and they now do unlimited (FUP applies) internet usage too. I can probably save 15 to 20 pounds per month and get a better service. I don't care about visual voicemail as I rarely get any voicemails anyway.

My wife and daughter are already on 3 and the service has been excellent. I've never had to call the notoriously bad customer service line as I can do almost anything via my local store. They even handled the number porting request for me when I bought the phone.

The only thing which would make me reconsider is if the O2 coverage at my house was improved (or I got a free femtocell). In any event I won't be taking out a new contract until the next iPhone is released and O2 won't be getting any more than £20 out of me (currently £35).

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

That's what I've done except with my 2G. I just feel the asking price for the 3GS is rediculous.

Phazer

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Depending on contract level u get your upgrade early mines due next
    month I'm taking the upgrade and flogging it cos I have a 3gs already

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

While that's true, you've got to get O2 not to screw up the priority list level you have.

I've paid and average of £150/pm over £2200 in total, and I'm still on silver.

16. Pennine macrumors 6502

Yep i've done the same

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I'll either go for a cheap simplicity tariff or go PAYG.

18. jayenh macrumors 6502

i don't want to take this topic back to the days of the 3gs's release with everyone bitching and moaning about how they felt they had a right to the 3gs for free, but seriously, you are ether talking rubbish or you are unbelievably gullible if you bought in to this. when you bought the 3G O2 would have had absolutely no idea that a 3gs would even be made, and they could not in any way, shape or form give you a "guarantee". All they could have done is guess and they probably told you "if the procedure is the same as this years you will get one for free". and even if the sales guy did say "yes, yes you will get one" it's verbal. if you bought it in a store you should have read the contract and said "there's no mention of my free 3rd gen iphone in here", at which point he/she would have told you you're not getting one really. the guys in the stores and on the phones are sales reps, they tell you what you want to hear to make you spend your money. just like car salesmen, and computer salesmen, and sofa salesmen.... every kind of salesman there is.

sorry if i'm being bitchy, but these "o2 guaranteed me" comments really bug me because they did not guarantee you one at all. at least not where it counts... on the piece of paper you signed.

end rant.

on topic, i got an iphone and changed my contract to the iphone plan, so i'm due an upgrade on August 1st and will be getting the 3gs then. i'd like to keep my number and i'm not sure this is an option with the simplicity route. can anyone confirm?

19. theviewer2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

But then you will mis out on the NEXT iphone? Is that ok by you?

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I earn at least £1k/month, so I'll just buy iPhone on PAYG and do it that way :)

21. theviewer2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel your being a little bit harsh. I am certainly not gullable and deffinetly not a liar.

02 had given everybody a free upgrade from 2G to 3g. Now, i think your talking rubbish if you weren't sure if apple would release another iphone after that. They are one of the most successfull. Of course they would. So i asked if i will get it for free. I got assured that aslong as apple release iphones, i will get upgraded for free each time.

That doesnt make me gullable. It makes the sales person mis-informed by O2. They dont just say stuff to make the sale, they had a que going out around the corner. They would sell out no matter what happens. So we were screwed, as we were lied to. If you got time to read an entire contract for each contract you take out, congratulations. Personaly I'm to busy a person.

22. Superdelphinus macrumors regular

"major fraud" ?

behave...

23. theviewer2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, good man! I would have if the 3GS was abit more worthwhile... but i will just wait i think

24. Superdelphinus macrumors regular

it makes you slightly gullible for believing that was in any way viable

25. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The reason O2 were unable to offer free upgrades to the 3GS was becuase your 3G handsets were subsidised. Whilst I agree that the rep should have known his facts, you should always check for yourself.
    The 2G late adopters feel the most in this situation however.