UK iPhone 3G video capabilities capped compared to US iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applemax, Jun 10, 2008.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Comparing the tech specs of the UK and US iPhone 3Gs I noticed the following:

The US iPhone 3G does H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels whereas the UK iPhone 3G does H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels.

The US iPhone 3G does Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps whereas the UK iPhone 3G does Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps.

Are these typos or are they actually different?
    :confused:

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

i think the US figure is HSDPA and the UK one normal 3G

The uk does have some HSDPA areas, but not many towns and cities support this.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I get that reassuring little 3.5G icon almost everywhere around here, normal 3G seems pedestrian in comparison.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Note to US people - there aren't that many towns and cities in the UK ;)
    (Note London's population is about twice the size of LA - but the U.S. has ~250 places with >100,000 population (and don't grumble about that not meaning a city - the UK is very historical about how things are or aren't a city (see Rochester, population of Wells etc))

O2 will likely be making a lot more of this map purple:
    http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/map.asp

There are 66 official cities in the UK apparently

England:
    Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Brighton and Hove, Bristol, Cambridge, Canterbury, Carlisle, Chester, Chichester, Coventry, Derby, Durham, Ely, Exeter, Gloucester, Hereford, Kingston upon Hull, Lancaster, Leeds, Leicester, Lichfield, Lincoln, Liverpool, City of London, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Preston,Ripon, Salford, Salisbury, Sheffield, Southampton, St Albans, Stoke-on-Trent, Sunderland, Truro, Wakefield, Wells, Westminster, Winchester, Wolverhampton, Worcester, York

Wales: Bangor, Cardiff, Newport, St David's, Swansea
    Scotland: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Stirling

About 1/8 of the population of UK lives in Greater London. I'd imagine that areas is covered pretty well! (roughly 8 million in Greater London, it's a fuzzy demarcation). That's in the region of 4,500 people per square kilometre (~1,800 per square mile) (mid-2006)

I'll exclude inner London.But the square mile will be HSDPA. To be honest, the Tube (opened 1863)is the place that most calls out for 3G / HSDPA.
    The

"Key Statistics for Urban Areas 2001"[27] shows that the following are the largest 10 urban sub-areas outside London not a part of a city or having a city as a component:

* Reading – 232,662 (roughly the population of Jersey City NJ)
    * Dudley – 194,919
    * Northampton – 189,474
    * Luton – 185,543
    * Milton Keynes (urban area) – 184,506
    * Walsall – 174,994
    * Bournemouth – 167,527
    * Southend-on-Sea – 160,257
    * Swindon – 155,432
    * Huddersfield – 146,234

Can you name 10 cities or urban sub-areas not on the HSDPA map ? :)
    We already know that 3G covers >80% of the UK population. (Ofcom helped there)

Attached Files:

5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

The UK iPhone has HSDPA - period - it says on the page. I'm asking about the video. It appears that the US iPhone 3G has a different graphics chip compared to the UK one.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The 3G iPhone's specs are "subject to change". We await July 11ths specs.