[UK] iPhone 3GS weird screen colours / CPW exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aldude, Jun 22, 2009.

1. aldude macrumors member

My shiny new iPhone has a weird screen issue.

If it's been in my pocket for a while, it has a blob just under the glass - hard to describe but it's about the size of a 5p piece and has all sorts of colours - green & purple mostly. I can move it around a bit if I poke the screen, but after about 10-15 seconds it slowly disappears. Then the screen is active it's only visible from certain angles.

Is anybody else having this issue? I suspect it's being caused by the screen glass touching the LCD behind it, or something. Other than that, there are no issues at all - the screen still works fine. I have an ipod touch too (1st gen) and it doesn't suffer from this.

If I need to exchange it, I bought it from Carphone Warehouse (delivery) and from their web site it looks like I might have to send it off for an exchange - not ideal. Is it possible to exchange it in a CPW store or, more ideally, in an Apple store? There's one close to where I work - Cabot Circus in Bristol :)

Thanks for all the help, in advance.

2. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

If you need to exchange it, then best bet is to call their customer service or take it into a store.

3. Interpolation macrumors regular

I bought a 3g last year from CPW, and within a week the silent button stopped working. I took it back to the store I bought it from. They then sent me to another store, as they did not fix phones at that store. The main store had a look, and then said they would exchange it, but did not have any so they sent me back to the original store, who did exchange it.

So to cut a long a long story short, CPW will probably exchange it, but make sure it's a main store, where they do repairs otherwise you could be running around a bit.

4. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Take a pic and show me!

I wouldn't personally go to CPW for a exchange. I'd go to Apple who will more than likely test your new iPhone for you, and sort it all out with your SIM etc so when you leave the store it's working. CPW may be out of stock, thats all i'm wondering.

After all the warranty is with Apple and they will honor that no matter where it was purchased from.

5. aldude thread starter macrumors member

Can't take a pic at the moment ... a good way to describe the effect is oil on water, which produces a lot of strange colours in looping patterns. It's something I could probably live with if I have to, but for something that cost 275 notes I would hope it's pretty damn perfect!

I'll try Apple store first I think then if that's no good try CPW after that...

6. jontucker macrumors 6502

I'd definitely go to an Apple store first and I'd be very surprised if they don't exchange it. They are usually VERY helpful when it comes to manufacturing defects.

7. aldude thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies!

Update: went into the Apple store and they told me that because the phone was bought/delivered within the last 14 days, I had to change it with CPW. Cringe...

Went into the CPW round the corner - and was pleasantly surprised - exchange there and then, no fuss, even though I had initially ordered fromn the web site. Lady was a bit monotonic, but I am now a happy owner of an even shinier, newer iphone!

Now, to get that thing activated...