UK iPhone 4 in USA?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jcb08, Dec 11, 2010.

1. jcb08 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Well with the christmas season upon us, I've got an iPhone 4 related question.

I'm considering getting an iPhone 4, my mind is just about made up, except for one little question. If I buy it here in the UK, and then later his year when I return to the USA, will I be able to use it there too? I'm sure it may have to be unlocked, but can I obtain an AT&T sim chip for it? Because once I leave the UK, I may not be coming back for some time, and the roaming charges just wouldn't be worth it.

All the best, Jacob.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

As long as your phone is unlocked, you can use it with AT&T or T-Mobile. I suggest the factory unlock, either from your provider or Apple. Right now, there's no software unlock for users who have iPhone 4 baseband 2.1 and up. Since your phone is likely to have this baseband, you'd be screwed--and not in the good way.

3. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

I've got an iphone 4 which is bought from Apple. Its unlocked and does work in the US.
    As far as I know though only Apple (in the UK) are selling them unlocked.

I can't imagine you'll have a problem getting any US telecom company to sell you a sim card and/or a contract to use with it when you get there. You could even get a normal sized sim card data plan and chop it down to iphone 4 size if you didn't want to get pay premium charged iPhone plan too!