UK iPhone 4 Pay and Go or Contract Poll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daleski75, Jun 13, 2010.

?

Will you be sticking with a contract or going into pay as you go?

1. Sticking with a contract

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Going with pay as you go

57 vote(s)
    65.5%
  3. Undecided waiting to see what happens

14 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

As a lot of people are thinking of ditching contracts for pay as you go I thought it would be a good idea to do a quick poll to gauge how many of us are considering the pay as you go option.

** Edit **

Well the numbers are starting to speak for themselves already looks like Apple better be producing enough pay as you go phones to meet the demand and pretty much no one here wants to be tied into further contracts.

2. allonym macrumors regular

I'll crunch the numbers when we actually have all the costs. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but equally I'm sure it will be worth it :)

3. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

I am 95% for the pay as you go option so I can keep my 30 day rolling iphone contract with orange.

The only thing which could persuade me is if they offer a discount for me and my gf to get the iphone 4 on contract and/or they don't offer the pay & go iphone on launch date.

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Already got a good deal with Vodafone - £11.67 a month for unlimited data, unlimited texts, 1200 mins.

Will just buy a PAYG vodafone if it's available otherwise, get o2 payg and then top up £15 to unlock it.

5. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

Thats a very good deal how did you manage that?

6. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

I got it in November, but the deal was £20 a month, so £240 for the whole year sim only. Then I rang up their sales department, bargained at bit and managed to get £100 rebate after 3 months. So when you do the maths, £240-100 = £140. £140/12 = £11.67/month.

I think they do a similar deal now, but with a capped data.

When the contract finishes in November 2010, I'll prob just stick with it as even for £20 it is still a really good deal compared to what is around now with stupid 500mb/1GB limits.

7. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I'm currently on the O2 45 iPhone contract which gives me 1200 minutes, 500 texts and the all important unlimited data.

O2 want £220 to cancel my current contract early in order to sign up for another £45 per month contract, the new contract would have lower allowances and no unlimited data and would run for another 24 months, this doesn't include the cost of a 32GB handset, which at the very least I think is going to be £97, probably nearer £149.

So the way I see it if I buy a PAYG iPhone 4 32GB I can keep my current contract with all of the allowances including unlimited data, the contract should run out just in time for the next iPhone release in 2011 (let's not get ahead of ourselves!) and I'll be in a much better position.

I realise that the PAYG handset is probably going to cost over £500, hopefully not more than £549, but all in all I think that this is the way forward.

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

yes it is probably the way forward! Sell you current iphone as soon as possible to put towards the iPhone 4

9. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I'm prepared to stretch as far as £600 for a 32gig payg iPhone 4 with o2 if the unlock for £15 deal is available

10. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I'll be selling either my 32GB 3GS or giving that to my Sister and selling the 8GB 3G that I gave her previously, either way it should knock a nice little chunk off the price.

That said I think people need to be sensible about what they're prepared to pay, obviously everybody has differing financial means but my limit for a PAYG iPhone 4 32GB is going to be £549 ONO, if the price is much higher I'll be waiting until the hype surrounding it dies down and the price is reduced ;)

11. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Not sure yet. I'm also on an expired o2 45 contract and, although most months I stay within the data allowance, there are times when I'm away from home (in arse end of nowhere places with no wifi) when I use gbs of data. For that reason I'm waiting for pricing of PAYG handsets. Then I'll think about whether to shell out for that. Can't sell 3Gs as it's promised to DH.

12. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

The more I think about this the more I am convinced to pay up front and get a pay as you go one instead of a whole 18/24 months commitment.

13. wavazey macrumors member

I am in exactly the same boat except for the fact that my buyout with o2 is £100. I am on the £45pm tariff with a £7.50 bolt on for unlimited o2 to o2 calls. My call allowance is the most important feature to me as I am self employed and am on my phone for large parts of the day.

I never even thought about payg as an option before but if I just let my contract run down that way I save the buyout plus cost of the handset so by your calcs approximately £249. Buy the new 32gb iPhone four for say £600 max. Difference of approx £350. Sell old 32gb 3gs to offset some of the cost. Therefore I will be an a month to month rolling contract with o2 with my unlimited data still intact.

Another plus point of this is the fact when the next phone comes out we will not be tied into a contract.

Only question is will o2 transfer my existing number onto a new micro sim straight away??

14. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't :)

15. Neil P macrumors member

Already on PAYG (bought the 3G back in Nov '08) so will just continue that way with the new one

16. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

hmm should of added an already got pay as you go as an option for the poll

17. SuperDuper-C macrumors member

Really depends on PayG pricing for me. As a student, being tied down to paying £30 a month isn't ideal, but if I can't afford a PayG on launch then contract is my only option!

18. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

Shame you cannot get a nice 3 month pay and go contract to spread the cost of the phone over that ie 3 x payments of £150 plus topup.

19. sananda macrumors 68020

I'm on Pay and Go right now. And it suits me very well. Data is included and I only really ring people on 02 (legacy of iPhone only being available on 02 for so long, so many of my friends are still on o2) so the £5 per month 1000 mins/texts to o2 numbers works great. And I have £50 of complimentary credit to work through to pay that £5 per month.

As for iPhone 4, I will have to wait to see the prices. I mean if it's going to be the same or a higher price than my existing 32GB 3GS but without included data, I guess I will consider whether Pay Monthly is better or whether I should just keep the 3GS.

20. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Just like Last year I'm getting the payg phone and staying on the o2 simplicity. Or dwitch to voda payg once its unlocked. Has anybody actually checked what their current monthly data usage is?

21. Nevasleep macrumors member

Signed up for a two year contract with Orange for a HTC Desire (Which I hate)....so PAYG'in it.

22. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

I thought the desire was a pretty good phone how comes you hate it?

23. MecPro macrumors 6502

24. Nevasleep macrumors member

Hate is a bit strong, missed a few apps and lots of small niggles.
    Although the Widgets/multitasking/notifications/HTC Sense are great.
    Good phone, but just didn't 'gel' :p

I'm hoping for about £450 PAYG -- but after looking at what happened with the iPad :/

25. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

The lower the better for this phone. Let me start a poll for pricing haha :D