UK iPhone 4 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hector Domingo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Hector Domingo macrumors newbie

Hector Domingo

Hey, sorry in advance for this as i can imagine someone here flagging me down for either being a 'n00b,' not searching the forums, posting in the wrong area or just being an idiot.

I am thinking of getting the iPhone 4 on Tesco Mobile (yes, i know, laugh all you will) and was wondering: will the network allow me to tether the phone through either USB or WIFI? Also, how good is Tesco mobile in regards to coverage and customer service? I do know Tesco uses O2s network, however.

Also, does anyone know when Tesco mobile are expected to have more iPhone 4s in stock, as i've been searching and don't have a clue.

Sorry for the amount of questions, but i have been hearing alot about 'improved signal quality' but how does the iphone stack up against the 3gs, and other phones such as the palm pre in terms of signal?

Thanks

2. GreatOldOne macrumors member

If you want to tether, I suggest you look at Three.

They allow 'free' tethering, which uses your inclusive data. I'm on three, and can confirm it works great with my MacBook Pro over USB. You can also set it up to use bluetooth, but IIRC you can't 'officially' tether via WiFi.

All the other networks will charge extra to enable tethering.

3. Hector Domingo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hector Domingo

Thanks, and what is the signal like on 3 compared to other phones? I've heard it's pretty terrible!

4. GreatOldOne macrumors member

Where I live (Northampton) it's as good as the O2 signal I used to have. I get a solid 5 bars at work, at home I get 3 downstairs, 5 upstairs. Call quality seems the same, and data speeds are great.

Of course, YMMV. :)