UK iPhone 4 screen shattered, live abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhjerlin, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jhjerlin macrumors newbie

My iPhone fell from the washing machine today. The machine wasn't on or anything but i placed it poorly and it fell to the floor resulting in the screen shattering.

Called Apple Care but since it's an accident they won't replace it for free and they can't replace it to my home country since the iPhone 4 isn't out here yet, no matter what I pay.

Will send it to London with my GF and do a like-for-like swap for £139,-. At least I think it's £139,-.

Well, I just wanted to share my grief and my sorrow.

[​IMG]

2. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

Ouch... Shame. You do have to be careful with this phone if you are rocking it naked, not because I think it's especially fragile (mine has survived two small tumbles unmarked so far) but because the back is slippery as hell... It'll slip and slide off any vaguely non level surface...

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

This is why I refuse to have my iPhone naked. I waited until otterbox's defender came out before ordering my phone.
    Accidents happen, no matter how careful you are.

4. jhjerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if I should write this but here goes, with the risk of being ridiculed a bit. I have a bumper but had taken it of for just a little while. Stupid is as stupid does! :eek:

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Dropped mine just a couple of feet yesterday evening, front glass is completely shattered :( I'm so careful with my property, absolutely gutted.

I'll drop in at Regent Street on Saturday. Is my worst case scenario a £139 replacement charge? Is there a chance that a genius will take pity on me and replace it gratis?

The shame!

6. HardDemon macrumors newbie

Ouch... its amazing how much damage it did though :O

My iP4 fell on to gravel when I was playing basketball and it only god a small scratch.

Although i do have a case :3

Next time i guess i advice you to get a case :D

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I don't get cases, what's the point of having a cutting edge piece of design from Ive and then cladding it in a cheap and ugly housing?

Now, of course, my iPhone is nothing but cutting edges.

I simply shouldn't have dropped it. Furious at myself. Just hoping £139 is the upper limit for a replacement - can anyone confirm if I'd be eligible?

8. spookme macrumors member

Similar Situation

Hi,

Have attached a pic of my shattered iPhone 4.

Im in the UK and have had to claim of my insurance. I too called Apple yesterday to talk about replacement for out of warranty repair.

They confirmed they could do it at a cost, but that because stock was very short at the moment to call the store before traveling the 60 miles..

Granted like many others wish I had had it in a case rather than naked, but do find myself wondering if the screen really is up to much..

Attached Files:

9. MicroApple macrumors regular

Wow you need to get your self insured. I got myn insured against everything theft, loss, damage (under $50 too) hehe. I also sprung for AppleCare 2 years for battery and manufacturing defects. Now I can carry my iPhone around and not be afraid of literally ANYTHING that happens to it.

10. chembox macrumors 6502a

That image makes me cringe... :eek:

11. spookme macrumors member

Result

That was as the result of a drop from my trouser pocket landing face down on the footpath out side my house. :(

12. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

This is the catch 22 of the iPhone, it looks so nice you shouldn't really put a case on it, but its so fragile that if you don't it will probably smash/dent/scratch. It's such a great looking phone but God damn, the amount of issues with it - the antenna and the glass etc. I really wish Apple went with Gorilla Glass.

Guys let us know how much they charge to replace it. I'm curious to know too if it is £139. To be honest the part for replacing it costs the same if you buy it from one of those Chinese suppliers but you would have to fit it yourself so probably better that Apple do it.

Anyways sad to see those pictures, I can only imagine what it felt like.

13. ultravioletfly macrumors regular

Gorilla Glass shatters just as easily.

Streak:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuWRB43HCE
    Droid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBY3lHFZ4o

14. Flint-Paper macrumors newbie

Wow. Yeah, I've seen quite a few of these smashed glass iP4's. Not sure why these phones don't have a lanyard attachment. I reckon it would be easily machined into the antenna, and could be made rather subtle.

If you design something that's this easy to break, you should at least have somewhere to attach a lanyard. All digital cameras have one... unless of course that digital camera is inside a phone.

Just as Magsafe adapters have saved MacBook owners endless amounts of heartbreak, so too could a simple feature like a lanyard loop do for iPhone 4 owners.

15. spookme macrumors member

Well in my case, Im giong through O2's insurance.. there excess is £75.00 for first claim.

Although I have to say that ive been waiting for a week now becuase they are out of stock...

16. Domo-Kun macrumors member

I had insurance on my old iphone 3g, would have cost £100 for new screen, luckly I had insurance only cost me £25 claim cost.

Watch out when using the smashed iPhone, I used mine and got a shard of it stuck in my thumb, about half inch long, that fecking hurt!

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Went to Regent Street Apple Store on Saturday.

Rammed. Queues out the door. Quite insane.

Anyway, they wouldn't help. They said it'd cost £139 to replace but they were far too busy and sent me on my way.

Got a cab to Westfields and an extremely pretty and helpful Genius called Marie worked like mad to make time to do my replacement.

So, yes, £139 and a bit of an unpleasant day, but I'm back up and running.