UK iPhone 4 users - T-Mobile/Orange network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tunster, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Tunster macrumors 6502

Hi All!

Just firing a quick message to get some advice before I go to option C which is to take the phone back to a genius.

Basically, since the release of iOS 5 and approximate it started at Christmas; my iPhone 4 has been awful for retaining or getting signal back after going into a no-signal area. I do a lot of commuting between Essex and London, but I've never seen a phone jump in and out of a signal so often when traveling on the train. Especially when it decides stay on "searching..." and I have to do a airplane mode on/off to force it back onto a mobile signal.

There are also times where I leave my phone in my pocket and when I get home; it's still in "searching..." mode although I'm in a very strong signal area. I get relatives complaining they can't get hold of me and I realise the signal has gone duff on the phone until I force it to get a signal.

Having gone back to T-Mobile UK, they said a SIM card swap is the only thing I could try before going to Apple. I tried this last week, and the same symptoms are occuring. I've tried numerous restores on the phone, stopping roaming (as T-Mobile and Orange UK are sharing masts due to merging - thought it could be a glitch with their setup).

Are there anymore suggestions before I go back to an Apple Genius? This iPhone 4 was a replacement as my original iPhone 4 has an issue with the ear speaker not working at all.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

Try settings>carrier and see if orange/tmobile is there and select it.

For a while it was showing orange, t-mobile and orange/tmobile as separate options.

3. tomhut macrumors member

tomhut

I would also recommend doing a network settings reset, this can be achieved by going into Settings, then General, selecting Reset and finally 'Reset Network Settings'.

I have found this to fix a number of similar issues over the years.

Tom