UK: iPhone 5 on release day.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antster94, Sep 28, 2011.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Hey,

Was just wondering, how can I get an iPhone 5 on release day on contract? I presume launch will follow how iPhone 4 was, same places etc.

So I am basically starting a new contract with Three for when it comes out. As I'm buying it as part of the contract, I can't just walk into the Apple store and buy one.

Did anyone on here buy one on contract on release day last year? If so, did phone shops have stock?

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. aohus macrumors 68000

u.s > u.k

no but seriously, just watch announcement on October 4. Apple will guide you.

your best bet is the Apple Store.

3. Rasta4i macrumors member

Rasta4i

I took out a contract with o2 and they had them iPhone's in stock for the launch of 3Gs and the iPhone 4. However you might need to pick your shop wisely and get there early because depending on the location and how busy the shop is some have a lot more stock than others...

----------

If your looking to take out a contract in the UK Apple Store is not somewhere you wanna go as far as I kno, they only sell it sim free and pay as you go... Carphone Warehouse is a good option tho

4. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Yeah that's true. I may try and go to a car phone warehouse in central London for the day after launch (launch on Fri 14th, buy it 15th), get to store very early, try and get one then.

5. Rasta4i macrumors member

Rasta4i

Also try a three store, they might sell out on day one though!

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

3 didn't get the iPhone 4 until a few weeks after release though, right?

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Well last year I walked into the Vodafone store in Manchester and walked out with an IPhone 4 within 10 minutes while the que at the Apple store upstairs was huge. Walked up to the Apple store to by Snow Leopard with a brand new IPhone like a boss. Everyone wanted to see it in the que ;)

8. Rasta4i macrumors member

Rasta4i

That's right, it was also the same for T-Mobile but they were not previously carrying the iPhone. As they are both now carrying the iPhone I would be very surprised if they didn't both have it at launch this time around

9. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

For iPhone 4 the best option generally was just to order from Apple. O2 shop stocks were low and sporadic and they were probably the best of the networks.

10. Rasta4i macrumors member

Rasta4i

Wouldn't that mean you were buying the phone sim only or pay as you go?

11. nedman macrumors newbie

You can just go into an Apple store and buy it there on launch. They will set up anything you need i.e. early contract payments, new contract or even swapping carriers.

If I have misunderstood your original post and this answer is 100% wrong then apolagies :D

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

The difference being yours is locked to Vodafone, while the people queuing would have been purchasing SIM free iPhones. ;)

13. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Yes, moved to a SIM only contract that was half the price. Doesn't come anywhere near making up the cost of the phone but I'm free to change as I choose.

14. Azzin macrumors 68040

Agreed.

I've been SIM Only for about 3 years.

I would much rather pay for the phone outright and have the knowledge that I can switch providers without having to even think about unlocking the phone.

I pay 3 (UK) £25 per month for their One Plan SIM Only and get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 3 to 3 minutes, truly unlimited data and tethering.

It's also only a one month rolling contract, so I can switch quickly if I want to but in all honesty if Three's performance continues the way it has since I switched to them in June I can't see my moving from them as I get between 5 & 6Mbps down.

15. Rasta4i macrumors member

Rasta4i

I joined o2 for the 3Gs and took out a 24 month contract, then I realised o2 is really bad where I live but they offered early upgrade for the iPhone 4 so I stayed. Now I am so fed up of o2 where I live that I reduced the price and passed the contract onto a family member and they are paying for most of half it till it ends. While I picked up a T-Mobile sim only deal that was heavily discounted, 600 minutes, 500 texts, internet and unlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile calls for 12.82 a month... So I'm just going to keep that from now on and sell my iPhone and make up the difference and get a new one!

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

my best advise is to call 3 on oct 5th and see what they say about on preordering a handset