Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
People weren't saying that during 02's massive outage not too long ago.

You mean that 'massive' outage that lasted for a day, which everyone completely overreacted to and started demanding free things because they couldnt use facebook on the train or BBM their friends (lets face it, no one calls eachother anymore).

jonney92

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
orange nano sim

just seen on twitter searched nano sim on orange and it came up with some pictures of some orange nano sim would of got a picture and put it in the comment bit here but dont know how to do it lol only just signed up to here

JamesM

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2007
Same price as the 4s in dollars but the £/$ rate is worse than last year.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still in contract with Orange, didn't realise they wouldn't be offering LTE to current customers and you'd have to sign up to EE.

I was going to get it SIM free from Apple, doesn't seem worth it now.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I'm on Orange and due my upgrade, so waiting for pre-order info on orange's site.... hoping that pre-order will be before 9am so i don't have to try and do it at work.

easy, EE is not a new network, it's the parent company of orange/tmobile, so switch :)
Everything everywhere was the parent company of T-Mobile and Orange since their merger but they renamed themselves yesterday and will be releasing a 3rd brand which is EE which will be the only one of the 3 brands to offer LTE.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
This from the EE website:

"Orange & T-Mobile today announced they will offer iPhone 5, the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, to customers in UK beginning Friday, September 21. For more information please visit: http://www.orange.co.uk/iphone5 or http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/iphone5. For more information on iPhone 5, please visit: http://www.apple.com/iphone.

Orange and T-Mobile iPhone 5 customers will also be able to move to EE – to get superfast 4G – when it launches in the coming weeks. They can register their interest at www.ee.co.uk."

Sounds like the EE won't be available at the iPhone launch but if you go with Orange or T-Mobile, they'll make it easy to switch to the 4G network.

randystand

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still in contract with Orange, didn't realise they wouldn't be offering LTE to current customers and you'd have to sign up to EE.

I was going to get it SIM free from Apple, doesn't seem worth it now.

EE have confirmed they will '' make it easy for current orange and t-mobile customers to switch over''.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Unless you need tethering, giffgaff gives you a better deal. The only issue is the Nano SIMs as you say :(

I dont understand what the problem is? Just cut your sim card down to nanoSIM size, like everyone did with the microSIM which was also unavailable from giffgaff.

Its stupidly easy to do, and if you somehow manage to mess it up, you're in luck, as SIM cards are so magical they're free.

Agree, what about £249 for the new touch!! my boy wanted it for xmas, I said no bother, should still be around £150!!!!!!!! even the old one has went up to £169, what a rip off

Again not sure what the problem is. £249 is your bog standard conversion (2/3rds of USD price + 20% VAT). If you are complaining about the actual price of the product in general though, you may as well complain about the price of houses, cars, petrol etc while you're at it.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Everything everywhere was the parent company of T-Mobile and Orange since their merger but they renamed themselves yesterday and will be releasing a 3rd brand which is EE which will be the only one of the 3 brands to offer LTE.

Will they eventually kill off T-Mobile and Orange and merge it all into EE? That would make sense to me, once consumers get used to the new brand.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Meh, I dont know what to do now. I'm with orange, and going to wait and see what EE have to say this week I think.

I wont be buying unlocked that's for sure, somehow £529 seems a hell of a lot more than £499!

Playing the waiting game sucks, let's play hungry hungry hippos instead!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Agree, what about £249 for the new touch!! my boy wanted it for xmas, I said no bother, should still be around £150!!!!!!!! even the old one has went up to £169, what a rip off

Well, technically the touch hasn't gone up in price, because the 'old' ones were also £250 for a 32gb version. The only difference this time is they dropped the 8gb.

So they just start at 32gb at £250...

When the third gen touch came out they had the 'new' faster touches at 32/64gb and the 16gb was a 2nd gen touch. Similar situation here..

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
quote from o2 forumss by o2 'There is just one iPhone 5 model which supports 4G - so when we're given the green light for 4G, iPhone 5 users will be able to use the services.'

JellyUK

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Does anyone know what time the pre-orders might start? Hoping it's midnight, not 8am...

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
This from the EE website:

"Orange & T-Mobile today announced they will offer iPhone 5, the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, to customers in UK beginning Friday, September 21. For more information please visit: http://www.orange.co.uk/iphone5 or http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/iphone5. For more information on iPhone 5, please visit: http://www.apple.com/iphone.

Orange and T-Mobile iPhone 5 customers will also be able to move to EE – to get superfast 4G – when it launches in the coming weeks. They can register their interest at www.ee.co.uk."

Sounds like the EE won't be available at the iPhone launch but if you go with Orange or T-Mobile, they'll make it easy to switch to the 4G network.

Good to know.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Will they eventually kill off T-Mobile and Orange and merge it all into EE? That would make sense to me, once consumers get used to the new brand.
They said they won't but since all Orange and T-Mobile stores are closing and being replaced by EE stores and phones start to have LTE as standard and the LTE system is fully up and running on their network then yes I guess they will. It may take a couple of years though.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Early queing for my at the Glasgow store, opens 8AM, going for the full price £529 and whatever sim I can get hold of, hopefully I can stick with the Three network.

now, stick with White or go back to black ????? decisions ?????:apple::cool::rolleyes:

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
With apologies from the off if I'm asking something really stupid.......

EE uses/will be using for LTE the frequency band 1800MHz.

The Ofcom auction next year is for two further frequency bands 800Mhz and 2.6Ghz.

We know that iPhone 5 is compatible with lots of bands around the world and certainly is with the 1800Mhz band that EE have.

Will it however be compatible with both of the two other bands up for auction?

I'm currently with O2 and would prefer to stay with them! even if LTE is still 12mths away - but could O2, for example, win the auction for a frequency band not supported by the iPhone 5?

I can't find anything on the Apple site to confirm which bands exactly the iPhone 5 will work with.

Does anyone know or is this a really stupid question?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.