UK: iPhone 5S Battery Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danbalsh, Nov 23, 2014.

1. danbalsh macrumors regular

Hi All,

Was looking for some advice...

My iPhone 5S has started to get some major battery issues, i've spoken with Apple and done all the online diagnostics, it's reporting as 'Failed' and 'Requires Service'

The iPhone is only just out of it's Warranty, and Apple now want to charge me for the Battery Replacement Service - obviously annoying as it's not an old device.

They said my only alternative is to go to my carrier (Three) and ask them....

Has anyone had any luck in getting a free replacement battery in the Apple Store?

Thanks

2. kolax macrumors G3

It's really not hard to replace the battery yourself. I've replaced the battery in a few iPhone 5s without problems - there's plenty guides on YouTube and iFixit to keep you right.

I got the genuine replacement batteries from Replace Base, though you can find some on Amazon too. Only ~£10 for a replacement battery, and 15 minutes work.

3. danbalsh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - i did look at those, but i'm terrified of breaking my iPhone!

4. kolax macrumors G3

You'd have to be quite clumsy to break it. If you ordered the replacement battery and took it to one of those phone repair shops on the high street, they'd probably be willing to take £10-15 off you for the labour if you asked them to do it in front of you. Least that way you know the battery is genuine.

5. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Remind them under European law you have 2 year minimum warranty!

6. kolax macrumors G3

Batteries are consumables (wear and tear during usage) so I don't think you'll get much covered with the warranty.

7. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

So your saying there NOT covered in the initial first year warranty??

8. kolax macrumors G3

Depends if it's a fault or just wear and tear from lots of usage (cycles). First year gives you AppleCare too, not just a standard warranty.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

Have you checked any household insurance for cover.

Also some Bank Accounts give mobile phone cover.

Excess fees would typically apply.

10. Newtons Apple, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Where does this company get Apple OEM batteries?

11. rcw2012 macrumors member

Assuming you bought the phone direct from Apple I would completely agree with this. My iPhone 5 developed battery issues earlier this year and the Apple store replaced the phone for me with no issues and it was almost 18 months old. They simply checked I had bought the phone from them and then they mentioned the 2 year EU law and before I knew it I had a new phone (well white box refurb).

If you bought the phone from Three themselves then yes Apple will unlikely replace it and suggest you take it up with the network you bought the phone from as Apple will only cover the first year in this scenario. One of the reasons I always buy from Apple direct...

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It depends where you bought the item from. It's also not always that easy.

First of all, the UK has the Sale of Goods Act, which supersedes EU law. The warranty is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, and after 6 months the onus is on you to prove that it was faulty at the point of sale, or is not of satisfactory quality.

If the retailer was Apple, they'll probably do that anyway, however, since Apple told him to go the carrier - I'll assume he bought it from a carrier store. Carriers in the UK are notorious for not honouring the SOGA, and mot likely will make it as difficult as possible to make a claim. I'd imagine any claim will be taken almost to the point of small claims court before the carrier listens. O2 are the worst for this, by far.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Same channels as authorised Apple repair shops I guess. The ones I ordered are identical in appearance (markings, logos etc) and capacity as the original ones. I don't fully believe they are 100% genuine, but whatever, they work as well as an original replacement and they're only £10.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The only authorized Apple repairs shops are Apple.

Just pointing out that Apple does not sell spare parts.

15. kolax macrumors G3

There are authorised service providers, so no, Apple isn't the only repair shop. While Apple doesn't sell spare parts directly, they provide them to authorised service providers (which I'm not saying Replace Base is, though they seem to be able to source 'genuine' parts).

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Please list some "authorized" repair centers here in the USA.

Still doubting that Apple is providing parts for these places.

17. danbalsh thread starter macrumors regular

As a follow up...

I've spoken to my carrier (Three) who've said that Apple will need to complete the work, at a cost to me - but that as long as the problem wasn't caused by accidental damage (i'll need proof from Apple) then they'll refund the money.

Now knowing Three... I take all that with a huge pinch of salt, BUT i'll try anyway, i've got the emails from Three confirming this so not much to loose!

18. kolax macrumors G3

Do it yourself! This is a UK thread.

Look up AASP and what they offer if you doubt Apple doesn't supply official parts! Some of the leaks for iPhones come from AASPs getting parts early.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Oh! It is a UK thread. Please forgive me, I did not see your kilt!:p