Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan.taylor06

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Glasgow, UK
Hi.

I am due an upgrade and would ideally like to upgrade the 1st day the iPhone 6 is available.

Because of where I stay, queueing up at an Apple Store isn't impossible however there are the likes of Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 u and even an EE store in much easier distance than going to my nearest Apple Store.

Has anyone experienced getting an iPhone on launch day from the above and are they even likely to have any units available on day 1.

Also if I did go to the Apple Store would I be able to upgrade my existing contract or would they only sell me a new contract there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm just going to ring O2 in the 19th and request an upgrade to the iPhone 6. I can't see the point in queuing at the Apple Store as I am not desperate like that. I will get it when I get it, and have a fully working iPhone 5 in the mean time. :)

ryan.taylor06

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Glasgow, UK
The issue I have is I am going on holiday on the 19th so wouldn't mind going to carphone warehouse or phones 4 u if I could get it pretty quickly and get home In reasonable amount of time to get all my things. I'm away for 2 weeks so the chances of getting one when I get back are pretty slim I think.

Henke

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I'm just going to ring O2 in the 19th and request an upgrade to the iPhone 6. I can't see the point in queuing at the Apple Store as I am not desperate like that. I will get it when I get it, and have a fully working iPhone 5 in the mean time. :)

I'm o2 also. My plan is to phone on the 19th, an ad also phone round local stores, to see if they have any.will be a case of just being lucky depending on volume of people wanting 1 that day.

Is priority given to new or existing customers?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm o2 also. My plan is to phone on the 19th, an ad also phone round local stores, to see if they have any.will be a case of just being lucky depending on volume of people wanting 1 that day.

Is priority given to new or existing customers?

You should have the option to upgrade through the O2 app if they add the device to the list or get a text message on the day from O2. That is what my wife did last time around and got her iPhone 5 a week before I managed to get hold of one. Seeing as you've had an iPhone before, you should get a certain level of priority I would have thought. :)

----------

The issue I have is I am going on holiday on the 19th so wouldn't mind going to carphone warehouse or phones 4 u if I could get it pretty quickly and get home In reasonable amount of time to get all my things. I'm away for 2 weeks so the chances of getting one when I get back are pretty slim I think.
I would try Carphone Warehouse before you go away and if not just ring your provider and get on the list. You may have a new iPhone by the time you get back.

I'm in no real rush to be the first with the new phone to be honest even though I can upgrade since September 2nd.

ryan.taylor06

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Glasgow, UK
I'm with EE. I Would love to have it for going away. I've already asked carphone warehouse if they will have it and they keep saying they cannot tell as the phone hasn't been announced yet, which I totall understand but even if they could tell me if they had the 5s on day 1. They won't. They keep saying that if they will have it they will get the stock in the night before and only then they will know. I'm keen to find out if anyone has walked in to the carphone warehouse or phones 4 u (or queued up) and managed to get one on day 1

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm planning to buy the iPhone 6, but I'm not on contract, so I'm not sure if I will get one on release day here in the UK. It's really going to deepen how many Apple out aside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.