(UK) iPhone Activation Credit Checks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Devil's Refugee, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

Is anyone slightly concerned that they are buying a device before they've been credit checked for the actual O2 tariff ?

I've never had a credit problem before, but I've moved house 3 times in the last 5 years and knowing how the credit scoring system works I'm expecting some half-assed message about having to provide evidence of my current address. Again, it's not a problem to do this but I don't want to fork out a wad of cash for something I might have to wait to use (or even be refused!) whilst the slow gears of customer service start moving......

I find the back-to-front process a bit bizarre to be honest. You don't walk into a car showroom and drive off with the car before getting finance for it (must as I'd like to though lol)

2. TheChillPill macrumors regular

It's for exactly this reason I expect there to be a 'hidden' payg option in the same way there is on AT&T in the US.

I suspect it will only be available for those that actually fail the credit check, because they obviously want people on contracts if they are able to get them.

It must surely hurt their sales though - especially in a country that has significantly more PAYG users than contract users (through choice in many cases).

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

1. You're buying the phone, but under no obligation to keep it if you fail the credit check.

2. UK Laws state that you have 14 days (even after signing a contract) to return a mobile phone if unhappy with it - for a full refund, no questions asked. I've done this a few times - a company cannot refuse a full refund.

3. It's pretty much impossible to fail a credit check for a mobile phone here. You can have several defaults, five addresses in the last two years, and arrears all over the place, and they'll still sign you up.

4. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

o2 use equifax for their credit checks, so if you're worried you can always go to the equifax website and run your own check (for a small cost I think). Might save you having to return a phone after getting all excited!

5. garethh macrumors regular

I think I almost failed once, and it was o2's fault. On a previous contract they had not passed on the correct data to equifax, and I was marked down as being in default, but for the sum of £0.00! This, however, meant I was still a defaulter!

When I returned to the UK after a year away and tried to take out a new contract online, the credit check took days and days. I then got a copy of my credit file and had to request a correction. But seeing it was o2 doing the check they might have had the decency to correct it while they were at it.

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Well this is different, normally they're subsidising a handset for you, here you're already paying for the handset in store. The 'credit' is therefore just for calls etc that you make, for which they won't make as big of a loss.

Personally I love the idea of DIY activations rather than fannying around in a store - and since they're not subsidising the handset I wouldn't worry about the credit score, it'll be much lower than on a normal contract. I'm like you - moved around a bit and personally I've just emerged from being a student so my rating isn't great, but I've not had problems with phone contracts.

-Leemo

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Just popped in to local 02 store (Birmingham Bullring) and asked about the situation if you did fail the credit score. Their answer was basically "hard luck" and said they would not be offering a PAYG option for it.

As for time the iPhone goes on sale. A very sad (but no doubt thought up by the marketing department) 6:02 pm.

8. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

You are kidding?

Jesus. You can just imagine the meeting they had to cook that one up can't you!

Well at least I can go and get in line after I finish work at 2!

-Leemo

9. sananda macrumors 68020

perhaps you could do the credit check in an o2 store before you buy the phone? maybe there is that option.

10. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I had to stop my laughing when he told me. but some how don't see to many people queueing for them.

11. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

so how would that work?
    how can they change the way the credit score comes out?

12. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Well they have set levels of credit score that are required for different things. For example a simplicity tariff at the moment has a much lower credit requirement than a full blown contract, for obvious reasons. The same will be true of the iPhone.

With regards to 'no queues' - whilst I was still working at O2 the other week I had tons of enquiries about the iPhone even though I only worked part-time. Many mentioned coming down on the launch day to get one. My store was also one of the smaller stores which has a larger store just down the road. I can only imagine what stores in more prominent positions have had interest wise.

-Leemo

13. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

if you think about it why even have a credit check for something that you have just paid £269 for? I would quite happily pay my £35 in advance every month, when you run out of mins and texts that's you finished till the next month, is that how prepay works in the US?
    while you were working for 02 did you find out anything about payg and how it would work, i've read elsewhere you would require a different sim.

14. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It's a credit check because of course you're using first then paying, they no longer offer the option of paying in advance. I know that's daft - it's just they're no longer allowed (by law) to have set 'limits' on a phone account.

Prepay-wise there's nothing confirmed at the moment, they were still discussing ideas around it whilst I was there. It would involve you using the simcard that comes with the phone. They mentioned it wouldn't be PAYG in the traditional sense as we're used to - and may require that you have a set charge for browsing etc. We should hopefully know more in the weeks leading up to the launch.

-Leemo

15. metoo6000 macrumors regular

It's only one month to go... They should finalised payg option and prepare for the activation system by now I guess?

16. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

4 weeks on Friday!!!!!!!!!! at last we are getting there!!!!!!!!!!
    maybe they won't advertise payg?
    will only happen if credit check is failed

17. metoo6000 macrumors regular

Umm... how can I effectively fail my credit check? :rolleyes:
    Any ideas???

18. herodian macrumors member

i work for a DCA, and in this short amount of time before it's realeased... not alot you can do to screw your credit. it takes approx 60-90 days for a default to be registered... if they do it at the earliest opportunity.

19. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Don't pay your credit card bills on time, ignore your student loan bills, go into bankruptcy, etc.

There are lots of ways but that should give you a good head start :p:p

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You'd be surprised. The iPod Touch is more or less constantly sold out here in Manchester.

I can imagine the demand being higher for the iPhone.

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The US trick is to input a false NI (or equivalent) number. I think the question is: is there a UK equivalent to that technique?

22. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I guess the PAYG option in the UK will be PrePay. So you have to top up say a minimum of £15 or £20 at a time. I suspect there will be a minimum you can have as a balance.

23. herodian macrumors member

not really, but there's nothing stopping you from putting in a person with bad credit.

thing is, here, even with bad credit, you could probably get a phone on contract.

and, taking it one step further, putting in a false name and address... you'd probably still get a contract phone.

with all stores NOT accepting cash for the phone, i reckon one of the only ways you'll get one sans contract is by getting a 15 year old with an Electron card to buy it and try getting it activated. but, yes, they'd probably get a contract.

as i mentioned earlier, i don't show up on any registers / credit files (not from anything i've intentionally done btw) yet i can still get credit on anything.

24. MonkeyHugger macrumors member

MonkeyHugger

You could put your age as 17 or lower, you have to be 18 to have a contract. I doubt they'll be a prepay option, which is why I won't be purchasing.

25. maclincsUK macrumors newbie

well I am hoping for a Prepay option, as last year I had no end of trouble with o2 - Vodafone however said, yeah not problem... so I doubt I will get credit aprroved with o2 this year.....

What would happen then? would I just be left with the iPhone not working?