UK iPhone and o2 tarriff discrepancies.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amf666, Oct 19, 2007.

1. amf666 macrumors member

"Pricing & Availability
    iPhone is scheduled to go on sale on November 9 and will be sold exclusively in the UK through Apple's retail and online stores, O2 and The Carphone Warehouse's retail and online stores. iPhone will be available in an 8GB model for £269 (inc VAT) and will work with either a PC or Mac. Three new great value iPhone tariffs will be available from O2 starting at £35, which all include unlimited anytime, anywhere mobile data usage and, in a market first, free unlimited use of the UK's largest single public Wi-Fi network, covering over 7,500 cafes, restaurants, airport lounges, pubs and other locations across the UK."

Above is a paragraph I have copied verbatim from the UK o2 iPhone promotional website. Notice the use of the terms unlimited wi-fi and unlimited data are used with no disclaimers, asterisks or anything else to imply they have conditions attached.
    First we thought unlimited data meant 1400 pages per month and unlimited wi-fi meant just that. Now we find unlimited data means 200MB and unlimited wi-fi means 60hrs. The point is not what we think are reasonable amounts to receive as part of a deal but the fact that the terms are changing all the time so by the time we come to sign our contract on 9th November who knows what we'll get?????

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Do you fancy posting a link to the site you got that from so we can read the small print right at the bottom, in the almost white grey so that it blends in with the background, and a font so small you have to copy and paste it and change the text size to read it...

3. danielforman macrumors regular

I had a look on the O2 site and can't find that page that the OP got that extract from. The Tariff page (http://www.o2.co.uk/iPhone-Tariffs.html) shows the pricing and that Wifi and EDGE usage are unlimited but have the * next to them and then at the bottom it says *Fair Usage Policy Applies.

Would be nice though if they posted details of what the fair usage policy actually is for the iPhone. I tried contacting o2 about the fair usage policy via email and in their reply they directed me to the O2 site or the Apple site.

However, I think i can remember seeing something like the extract the OP has posted somewhere on the O2 site when it was first announced but that was like 18th Sept

4. ascender macrumors 68000

Now that the phone has been out for a while, surely some of our American posters can let us know how much data they're using a month via Edge? Would be good to see some actual facts rather than just lots of people moaning that 200Mb is just not enough.

5. amf666 thread starter macrumors member

6. Roseyboy macrumors member

Was telling this story to the IT guy at work and he said the people in my office at work do not go over there 20mb usage for emails on there Vodafone 3G cards every month... and these are the sales guys that live on emails.

Maybe it will be different depending on what your looking at/emailing etc.

for example my email sig at work is 8k a time and a 3x A4 page email (433 words) was only 13k including the sig.

Anyway Id like some of are friends over the pond to post there usage please. :)