UK iPhone buyers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustle, Oct 5, 2007.

?

What will you do?

1. Get the iPhone when its released and get the 02 contract

64.3%
  2. Get an imported/iphone when its released and unlock it

17.9%
  3. Keep my current phone/get a new phone that isn't an iphone

17.9%
  1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

If you're from the UK, are you going to buy the iPhone and get the 02 contract, get one imported and unlock it or stay with your current mobile/get a different one, not an iPhone.

2. sananda macrumors 68020

i want an iphone. but i'm often in other countries. and the inability to use a local sim is a big negative for me. my cousin is going to be in the US shortly and could get me one for £211 (a good saving) but i can't unlock it because there is no unlock for 1.1.1. just been looking on ebay and there's an already unlocked one for £299 plus £19.99 delivery. shall i get that? what do you think?

3. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd wait. They'll hack the 1.1.1 sooner or later.

4. Project macrumors 68020

Im going to upgrade to the iPhone on Nov 9th, as I have an existing O2 contract.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Switched to o2 just recently

I've just switched (this week) to o2 from Orange. If the iPhone had been a bit more appealing I would have waited, but it's a tad low on features for me yet.

My new phone syncs with my Mac just fine via Missing Sync, runs TomTom Navigator with its built-in GPS, manages a large amount of contact/calendaring and configuration data that I need for work (I'm a systems admin and I really need something with proper PDA functions so that I have necessary data to hand wherever I am in the building) and is reasonably pleasant to use despite running Windows Mobile 6. Better yet, it cost me nowt - free with contract. It's an O2 XDA Orbit.

When a future iPhone revision can compete with the above functionality I'll be buying one if only for the joy of the GUI, but I really don't need the media stuff and DO need the PDA stuff, so I suspect it's going to be a while yet...

YMMV, of course, so it's very much what you as an individual need rather than one being 'better' than the other. For me, however, an iPhone would be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

There's a part of me that still wants one, though ;-)))

6. sananda macrumors 68020

search your feelings... you know you want one :D

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

LOL - for someone who doesn't know me at all, you know me far too well :D

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I pay £15 per month for my mobile phone and don't even get through the inclusive minutes included in that tariff.

Including the cost of the handset, the iPhone costs £50 per month over the 18 month contract, way too much for me to justify, no matter how good it is.

I'll stick to what I've got, hopefully better value iPhones and tariffs will come in the future.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I definitely want an iPhone but I'm not getting one on O2. There's no product in the world that'd get me onto their archaic, full to capacity, low-speed network. I'll stick with Vodafone, tyvm, and wait for a HSDPA iPhone that I can unlock.

Oh, plus I like MMS and using my phone as a camera. The iPhone doesn't lend itself to either of those uses particularly well, revolutionary UI or not.

10. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

well I'm buying one Nov 9th!!! as much as I'd like to not to get a contract i'm playing it safe.
    5 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!

11. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

yep, i'll be with the £35 o2 contract too, theres a lotta cloud hotspots I can make use of!

12. alFR macrumors 68020

I'll be getting one as soon as I can as the tariffs actually suit me: I should be within the minutes/texts per month, the "fair use" data amounts should be enough for me as well and there are plenty of Cloud hotspots around here (or free wifi at work/my own wlan at home).

I think a lot of the "missing" features will come with a firmware update along with the release of Leopard: the only thing that worries me slightly is the "negative blacks" issue, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I've seen the UK models. From the thread on here it's a bit hard to tell for sure if the currently shipping phones have the problem or not anyway.

13. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Ouch. I'm sorry about that.

-Leemo