UK iPhone, can you use a US Sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Feb 14, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

We're going to Orlando in the summer. Currently I have an iPhone 4 which I bought from Apple retail in UK so is unlocked. I'm currently on O2.

So because of the high roaming charges, is it possible for me to get a US SIM card, for eg like a Simlicity O2 Sim here, for 30 days, so I can use the data in US for reasonable price?

Will my iPhone work in US? Is there a Sim you can buy? I only need it for 2 weeks. I know I will probably get free WiFi in the hotel, but there's a few apps for Disneyland with queue times so would want 3G data as well, and for maps when out and about.

Cheers

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Your phone will work and I'm sure there's an AT&T sim you can get for a week or two.

3. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Of course you can, as long as the iPhone is unlocked, you're good to go. And it's also a pretty good idea, I know when roaming outside your country, the prices will be much higher, but AT&T has some pretty good offers for travelers, so you'll be saving some money!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just picked up a AT&T Prepaid SIM and you'll be fine. You might have to get a SIM cutter though since AT&T is very specific not to sell you a microSIM on prepaid.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can just buy a Prepaid Sim Card phone plan w/ additional data package on AT&T:

The data part for prepaid costs:
    $.01/KB Pay Per Use or add a Data Package
    Data Packages:
    1 MB $4.99/mo
    100 MB $19.99/mo

For the phone part is either:
    Monthly fee w/ Data 200MB $75 ($65w/out data ) an unlimited txt,
    a $2 daily fee unlimited call & txt
    Simple Rate Plan 10cents x min

(I think you might have to cut the sim card to fit your iPhone also)

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeh I bought if from Apple shop in UK and believe it's unlocked nap it looks like AT&T will be ok?

I only want it for 2 weeks as I say, don't want a contract or anything. I'm not really bothered about talk time or texts really either as will prob use my own sim card for this.

When inserting a different sim do you have to then plug it into iTunes or anything, to activate it? As obviously I wont be able to do this?

I possibly could get someone I talk to from US to buy/post me a sim before I go, is this worth it?

Is there an AT&T shop on iDrive anywhere or a mobile shop to buy from?

Cheers

7. nukem170 macrumors member

I didn't know they sold iPhones unlocked. But I could be wrong. You might want to test it out with a different sim first just to make sure.

P.S: Oh just found out that they sell them online unlocked. But I would still check just to make sure.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Many countries sell unlocked iPhones, like Canada, UK etc. Just not in the US. :cool: