UK iPhone contract help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ndwgolf, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ndwgolf macrumors regular

My daughter lives in the UK and she has a Samsung phone on a T-Mobile contract that I pay £25 monthly which finishes is Aug 2009.
    It's her 21st Birthday in 2 weeks and she wants a iPhone, I am ok with getting her one I just woundered what would be the best way for me to go about this, should I get it on contract with O2 or should I get it on pay as you go??
    I realalize that either way i will get f£$%ed but so be it, I want to get her the phone but not sure the best way about doing it as I live in Thailand and I am not up to speed with the UK phone system
    Thanks in advance

2. RRutter macrumors 6502

Either way really.. If I were you, I'd do Pay as you go, that's the main feature of the iPhone in UK.

Good luck bro!

3. memesmith macrumors regular

I disagree. The PAYG services is not quite as iPhone-y as the contract service. You don't get visual voicemail with PAYG, and after the first year, you have to pay £10 a month for unlimited data.

4. rkenyon macrumors newbie

You should be able to change the T-Mobile plan to something a bit cheaper - say £15 a month. Carry on paying this until the contract expires in August.

The PAYG is pretty useful, but you'll have to pay for data after the first year (or buy another iPhone :) ).

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

But then if she moves back to Thailand, the PAYG might be transferrable ... something to consider?

I personally hate contracts, despite owning one myself. I'd take the PAYG route and, if you pay her phone bill, set up a 20-30 pounds a month standing order to cover calls.

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Too expensive

It also depends on how long she is going to be there. The contract is 18 months. The 35 pound plan is fine. Has all the data and messaging you need as well as 600 mins per month talk time. That is a lot.

The PAYG option is almost as expensive, depending on your usage plus you have to pay a fortune for the phone which is locked to O2's network. I have found O2 very good.