UK iPhone contract running out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carlosbutler, Apr 30, 2009.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

It is near the time where the iPhone O2 contract run out (if bought on 9th November 2007). The end date should be 9th of May 2009, although O2 will ask for renewal on the 8th of May.

If you stop the contract, the phone I presume will simply act as an iPod Touch and calls, cellular network and SMS will be disabled. Does this also mean that the phone is then unblocked, so if I wanted to I could put in another SIM card. I know that in some european countries, after 18 months the mobile carrier is forced to unblock your phone if you ask them, but only once 18 months have gone. This applies to Pay as You Go and Contract phone. Is this the same in the UK?

If I then want to sell my iPhone on eBay, it needs to be unlocked so apart from jailbreaking it there is not other option?

Carlos

2. matttye macrumors 601

My iPhone is unlocked but not jailbroken. You can use "QuickPwn" to do it in about 10 minutes.

I'd give O2 customer services a call to find out about whether or not they will unlock the phone - they're open until 19:30.

3. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

4. sallythemac Guest

They won't. It's not law to unlock phones in the UK. Even after your contract has expired.

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Legally you have to be able to unlock phones in the UK (which is why there's loads of shops dotted around the place with big UNLOCK YOUR PHONE HERE signs). But I don't *think* the provider has to provide you an unlock code. I'm sure I went looking for info on the O2 website about this and it said they'd provide you with an unlock code for every phone but the iPhone.

6. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

7. samab macrumors 6502a

There is no such law in UK.

The best you can hope for is that handset manufacturers don't have a EASY way to sue shops that provide unlocking services for copyright infringement (i.e. lack of DMCA laws in the UK). Doesn't mean that there aren't any other ways to sue unlocking companies. They don't sue these shops --- doesn't mean that it's legal for those shops to do business at all.