(UK) iPhone First Weekend Thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oh-es-Ten, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

It seems to be pretty quiet here with people posting reviews about their first iPhone experiences on this side of the pond, so here I go...

Having waiting since January, I knew it was the handset I really wanted, even though it was not 3G, so I knew what I was up against and the various gripes that US people had. I was a little worried that this device may not be all it is cracked up to be.. As a bit of background, I owned a Nokia N91 on O2 and I was just out of my previous 18 month contract.

So what's it like?

Purchase & Activation

I got the Apple Store Regent Street, and there was a large line outside of about 350 people, 1.5 hours beforehand, so I went to a movie and came back later at 8:30pm. Walked in and picked one up straight away - not a single wait at all. Apple gave 30 days of One-to-One service for free as part of the purchase, which was nice I thought.
    Went straight back to the office in Soho and plugged it in for activation. Followed all of the prompts, and entered in my current mobile number. A few parts took a minute to come up but I completed the Activation and received a confirmation e-mail. Expecting to see a temporary number being displayed to use while my existing number went over, I was stunned to see that 1 min after activation e-mail, my N91 started saying 'SIM Registration Failed'. Wow, that was quick. I did not Sync at this point, and decided to head home to do it there. I was even more shocked when I got hom 45 mins later that calling my number made the iPhone ring. The whole number port was done in about an hour. Bravo O2!

Sync & First Use

No visible problems with my first Sync at all. Everything came across beautifully. I had two feature films, 12 TV Episodes, 2 video podcasts and about 3.3GB of music and audio podcasts, a whole bunch of recent photos and it still left over 1.5GB free.

The only problem I had was my personal e-mail account would not send mail out. I worked out later this was simply a duplicate entry in the Keychain on my Mac that caused it. After correcting the password on the iPhone itself and removing this old entry, it was fine.

First Day Out

My first day with the iPhone was going to be an interesting one. I had organised with some friends to go and spectate at a car rally in a Hampshire Forest. We got there pretty early so I snapped a few pics of the guys setting up camp and the morning forest. I ended up e-mailing a picture to my girlfriend (who was still fast asleep at the time). While we were waiting for the cars to come, I showed them some rally footage recorded from TV on the iPhone, which helped pass the time. The screen worked well, even for people gathered around to watch.
    I got a few texts and was able to reply quickly and easily. Meanwhile I sent a couple of work e-mails, then took some more pictures.
    Later in the day, we were discussed a specific event and I was explaining a certain jump that cars went over, and everyone drew a blank. I decided to check YouTube and I was able to show them footage of what I was talking about. That really helped.
    In the afternoon someone mentioned the famous Sagrada Famila in Barcelona. So I became annoying and was able to show them the pictures I took of this landmark on my last holiday. They then wanted music over lunch, so I put music on the speaker while we cooked on the camping stove.
    Then the guys were looking at maps to work out how to get to the next stage, so I put Google Maps to use to show a different view, which helped them get their bearings. I offered to use the 'Driving Directions' feature, but I knew they would prefer to use the map really...!
    Once again later in the day the guys got into an argument over what time we had to be at another event later in the year, so out comes the iPhone again where I got onto the website and we could look at the timetable. This was particularly impressive as there was flaky reception (no bars at all) deep in the forest, yet I was still able to download the website slowly.
    On the way back a few more texts and e-mails done, and then was able to do more browsing back on WiFi at home. At the end of the night (1am) I had a 20 percent battery warning. Considering how much use this thing got, I was amazed.

Second Day

On the second day of use, I went with a different group of friends to a Safari Park in Bedfordshire. My girlfriend ended up spending most of the car trip looking at online clothes shops while we were driving on the M1! I also used the Maps apps to see how many miles we would do and how long it might take.
    Took more photos at the park, showed friends some photos and videos, drove back checking directions on Maps app, and then back home where there was more browsing and a few e-mails and a few texts.

Thoughts so far

As much as some people want to hear, I cannot fault my experience at all. I had a US iPhone for a few days (jailbroken, but not unlocked), and the UK one feels much faster, smoother, not single crash with a number of pages and apps going. My voicemail had to be enabled by dialling 1750 on the handset, but since doing that visual voicemail is now working perfectly too.

The most amazing thing for me is really EDGE. Some web pages are a little slow, but considering where I was (driving along M1, and in a Hampshire forest) I was amazed at how capable this device is, even on EDGE. I have used 3G before a few times, but it is just not usable due to the implementation. The phone was a dog to use, therefore 3G made no difference to the experience.

The thing that people aren't really getting is that although other phones might have more features on paper - can you use them with confidence? Compared to my previous N91 with the latest Symbian OS, it is like chalk and cheese to me now. Everything so fluid and natural on the iPhone - it makes you want to use the features, rather than consider them as an afterthought.

Sorry for the massive post, but you are looking at one VERY happy customer here.

Worth the hype. Yes indeed.

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I agree with you - loving the phone. Been anticipating it since January. The only disappointing aspect has been that my phone suffers from the 'negative black' screen issue. I'm in Birmingham with work today so going to head to the Bullring and just hope that a replacement phone will solve the problem!

3. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

4. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8993/204; U; en))

great thread.interestin to find out how the phone performs in real life.

5. Oh-es-Ten thread starter macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

That is a shame Leemo. Hopefully they can replace it for you. I have not noticed this on mine. I did go to www.appleservedup.com on my iPhone, which has checks for this issue on there. I suggest looking at this site with your replacement to make sure it is all good.

Best of luck.

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Thanks for that. Out of interest what's the serial number of your phone? That'll show the week it was produced you see, which gives a good hint to ones that have good quality screens. For example mine is week 42 - several have been noted from this week as having the problem. Boo!

I tried appleservedup.com when I first got the phone - but it wasn't until the brightness was turned up that I really noticed the problem. It's such a shame because I'm impressed otherwise!

7. Oh-es-Ten thread starter macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

My serial number starts with 7U743, so guess I have a 'week 43' model, if that helps..

8. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

That really does help. Can I be extremely cheeky and ask you to do something for me?

Go to dial a number and type: *3001#12345#*

It will come up with a menu, choose ‘versions’ – just let me know what the LCD Panel ID is.

Sorry to ask, but you'd be helping out a fellow iPhone owner greatly! Mine is 7455232 which is has been the cause of the negative problems for many people.

Thanks in advance!

9. Oh-es-Ten thread starter macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

Not a problem at all...

LCD Panel ID is 7455232. Hope that helps.

Anyone else want to put up their 'First Weekend' Reviews...?

10. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Only high praise at the moment! Activation was within five minutes and so far no issues. Use my wireless network at work and at home but EDGE seems pretty good when in town and on the move.

Week 43 build and screen quality is excellent.

Worth the wait?... hell yes!

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not sure I've got time to write all mine out, but I broadly agree with the above - very happy.

Minor niggles -

I'm staggered no one has made a camera flash accessory yet. I went out on Friday and got no useful pictures at all.

Likewise, amazed Apple doesn't have an FM radio remote with a microphone ready.

YouTube search is broadly useless, unless there's something obvious I'm missing. I can't order a keyword search by "most recent"? I can't look at an uploader's other videos by clicking on their name? Come on!

Uploading camera pics to Facebook just seems so unbelievably obvious to have been left out... I don't need access to the whole file system, just the photo folder!

I miss flash support.

I wish SUPER worked better in Vista, because converting WMVs on my Mac is glacial.

But all of these can be fixed in software, and are hopefully coming soon. And it's really hard to put into words how much more useful the browser is than the likes of mobile Opera on an N95. It's something else.

Phazer

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It appears as if there is no link between 7455232 and screen problems as such… It would seem that the UK production run used 7455232 almost exclusively. Some screens are fine while others are horrible.

Makes me wonder if it is not caused by "something else". :confused:

Just for the record I have a week 44 7455232 and, luckily, it is perfect.

Maybe my eyesight is going! ;):D:D But I can see no problem.

13. sparkyms macrumors 65816

My first fantastic iPhone moment came on saturday at work where I was having an arguement with my boss and colleagues about whether it was Coca Cola that made santa into the image he is today.

I KNEW that they didnt, but they were having none of it. Out came the iPhone and up came CokeLore from snopes.com, needless to say, they were the ones with proverbial egg on their face.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hardest part of the whole buying/activation process was queuing on Friday night. :D

As soon as I got home — and I do mean as soon as — I unboxed the iPhone and linked it to the Mac…

iTunes popped up and started the activation process…
    I didn't transfer a number, just started a new contract with O2 (was/am with Vodafone).
    Took all of 3 minutes to get my new number (20 minutes after swiping my credit card at the Apple store!).

My contacts, calender etc all synched fine — but most importantly all 7 of my email accounts were transfered without a hitch.

At home the WiFi works great — especially when I am too lazy to get out of bed Sunday morning. :)

On the road — or while having a pint, the ability to easily check and send email is wonderful. Getting maps and directions off Google maps work excellent. Granted, for day-to-day web browsing I still prefer my 24" but while on the go the iPhone is a great substitute.

Yes. Flash! I really hope we get Flash support soon. Only drawback thus far.

Yes, I'd rather not be tied to a contract… Yes, I'd rather the iPhone was "free"… but… once you use it you really forget all of that.

Very happy. :D:D

15. fiftydollarshoe macrumors regular

Good post but I have to say the above point is the most poignant. Agreed there are many features on the iPhone which exist on other phones. However the iPhone turns them into a useable function. Web browsing is the key feature for me that has never really ported very well to handheld devices therefore I really wouldn’t use it on my previous phone. Only very rarely to get a football score from a WAP site. I would never dream of booking a flight or hotel etc from my previous phone. Emailing photos is another function that has been available for a long time but I would never do it because it took so long my previous phone. There is where I find that Facebook tie in really good… I snap and post wherever I am. Instantly. For facebook I don’t need 5MP’s just a record that I was there. Good post.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nice to hear how a device of this type can be of such use in day to day life. Glad you're enjoying it and seemingly making the very most out of it.

For me the price is too much for what you get, but that doesn't make it so for everyone else :)

Might join the iPhone fan camp when one day when it's 3G and with what I consider to be a reasonable tariff, until then all you early adopters can work to iron out the "quirks", but enjoy your portable web/email/music/video long before me ;)

17. fiftydollarshoe macrumors regular

This feature I see as the biggest success of the iPhone..... email. You see Apple don't want you using MMS (as you can't.) You see no one outside of business Blackberry users use email on their mobile phones..... iPhone is the first email phone for the consumer and non-business user. It wil be big and drive sales.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Please do. :D The water's lovely!

19. rjackman macrumors member

I'm really pleased with mine, I thought it was going to be good but its even better ! the ui does it for me and having the full internet where ever you are :D

20. ibanana macrumors 6502

Leemo, i have a week 42 with the same panel number as you but i can't really tell whether i have the negative screen issue. Was it pretty obvious for you when you've checked appleservedup.com ? is it really annoying on your day to day use ? Do you have pictures or videos that you can't see because of that problem ?

Cheers

21. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It's hard to say really - I only really noticed because of an iPod Touch that I had (and took back) back in September. The Touch was awful I couldn't view any videos or pictures that were remotely dark.

Maybe this got me latched on to what to look out for - but my week 42 one seemed to suffer from the same problem, just not as severe. It didn't impact me using it really, just annoyed me knowing it was like that.

I swapped it at the Apple store today for the only 'service' one they had to swap for me, which is the same panel but a week 44. It does look better - so I'm giving up worrying about it now.

I think if you're not noticing any problems then please don't worry about it! I think perhaps I'm just being over sensitive to it.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thanks for sharing a 'day-in-the-life' of the iPhone. Great review!

23. Moleshome macrumors member

If this happened to be just outside Fleet I probably went hammering past you in my rush to exchange mine for one without stuck pixels and negative black screen.:)

On a more sombre note, those are the woods where Milly Dowler's body was found. :(

24. stekerrod macrumors regular

I got my iPhone Friday had a problem activating it due to an old contract with o2 but that was sorted within the hour as o2rang to sort it out. Syncing seemed to take ages but that was more me anxious to play with my new toy!

The edge service when using safari is faster than I was expecting, which was a major plus! The reception is very good, pretty sure that its better than my old samsung e900! Google maps is also fantastic although its abut slow when on edge! Mail works perfectly as does youtube. The camera is also very good, I tool a picture of old trafford on Sunday and ive got a very nice photo of the front if the east stand! Text messaging works nice too. The iPod function is excellent and the screen looks fantastic when watching a video! Also the coverflow is just as pretty as on the adverts! The little mic in the headphones is good as well! I don't know what to say about the interface other than WOW! Im amazed by it! And the keyboard is getting easier by the letter to use!

The only things that I would like adding to it are flash support for safari and the ability to send photos and other files over Bluetooth! Mms isn't much of a loss as I think ive sent 4 in the last year!

So after 4 days of use I couldn't be happier with it! Best £269 ive ever spent!

Ive even typed this review on it!

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have a week 43 with LCD #5755136 (which is 100% perfect) and also "Firware (sic) version 04.02.13_G" (which is strange). :confused:

I find the typing incredibly slow because of numerous mistypes, probably partly due to my large fingers. The fabled "auto-correct" does not appear to do anything at all.

Other than that, however, I am very impressed and pleased with the thang.