UK iPhone in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supernovax, Jul 15, 2009.

1. supernovax macrumors newbie

Hi, can I use my UK iPhone with a Rogers prepay SIM card? The phone is locked to O2 here, but can I use it with other "authorised" providers around the world?

If it's not posible then I will be unlocking it so still need some advice on prepay SIM cards? What is the best deal? Do any providers have data bolt-ons?

Cheers

2. t0mm macrumors regular

It will still need to be unlocked.

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In terms of service providers, there are 2 coast-to-coast GSM providers (actually only one holding company with two different brands): Fido and Rogers. The other two coast-to-coast providers (plus their alternate discount brands, and the virtual operators who leech off them) are non-GSM; however, they are apparently preparing to phase in a shared GSM network in the Vancouver area, in time for the Olympics.

As far as data options go, they both have smartphone-compatible data add-ons available for postpaid customers, starting at $25 per month for 500 MB of data.

However, judging by Fido's website, it doesn't look like they offer any data add-ons for prepaid customers - just the pay-per-use rate.

Roger's website lists a $7 unlimited mobile Internet add-on for their prepaid customers, but it is only meant to work with lightweight WAP browsers, not for general-purpose data such as HTTP web browsers. It's not certified to work with smartphones, PDAs, or laptops at all. So for the iPhone, the only option available would also be the pay-per-use rate.

4. supernovax thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Time to start downloading some off line maps!