UK iPhone in the USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skillwill, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. skillwill macrumors 6502

    Feb 12, 2008
    Hey, I live in the UK but I am moving to the USA to study for 6 months. What are my options regarding my iPhone when I am over there? Will it work with my O2 contract, will it be possible to insert an AT&T pay and go sim card into the phone so I don't have to sign a new contract with them?

    Any ideas welcome, thanks
  2. samiwas macrumors 68000

    Aug 26, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm certain your O2 one will work in the US, as I'm using a US one from AT&T currently in London on O2. Don't know about the pay as you go stuff.
  3. thworple macrumors 6502


    Oct 20, 2005
    Sussex, England
    You can use your iPhone on it's o2 contract while over there but it won't be cheap. All o2 iPhone users are placed on the cheaper international rates (it's called ITS I think), but calls to UK lines still cost 90p, and calls to US numbers will be double that. Also you'd want to switch Data-Roaming off, as it's ridiculously expensive to browse over 3G/EDGE etc. £6 per MB as far as I'm aware!
  4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

    May 16, 2006
    You're perfectly at liberty to pay the international roaming while you're in the USA to access your O2 account.

    Unfortunately, your iPhone is locked so that it will only accept SIM cards from O2 UK. It will not accept any SIM cards from any other wireless provider, including all US-based providers. O2's stated policy is that they have no plans to facilitate doing so with any of the iPhones they've sold. (Depending on which model of iPhone you're using, there may be 3rd party hacks or adapter cards available which, at the expense of losing access to official technical support, would unlock it despite O2's objections.)
  5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

    Sep 17, 2007
    iPhone 1st Generation or iPhone 3G? - Because the 1st Gen can be unlocked easily using software. I spend several months at a time in the US, and I take my old 1st Gen with me and use a T-Mobile (US) Pay-As-You-Go SIM.

Share This Page