UK iPhone in USA - with USA Sim Card

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hippyharry, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hippyharry macrumors regular

Hi there.

Travelling in March this year to Texas and im bringing my iPhone 4 which is factory unlocked.

Am I right in thinking, I could buy an AT&T sim card on ebay, activate it online, then add a data package to this?

Im only looking for it to be pay as you go (prepaid).

I also know Id have to cut the sim card, but thats not a problem. I can do that in a few minutes.

But just looking to see if any people here have travelled to the USA with a UK factory unlocked iPhone, bought a sim card and successfully got a data package onto it? And if so, can they point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can buy the pay as you go card at any AT&T store. I don't remember what they charge. Just tell them you left your phone at home, otherwise they'll try to force you into a monthly plan.
    IIRC, you are able to add a monthly data plan or a pay as you go data plan.
    There are people in the US who are currently using the pay as you go plan; no unlocking was even necessary.

4. lapocompris macrumors regular

I am planning to bring my iphone 4 for a trip to the DC area, what are the prices for the microsim and the data plan?