UK iPhone Insurance - which is the best one??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fairy lights, Nov 22, 2009.

1. fairy lights macrumors newbie

Hey,

I bought my iPhone 3Gs in august and at the time the guy who sold it to me at O2 told me not to get my insurance from O2 as there were loads of providers on the internet who did it for cheaper. Now the thing is, I don't know which ones are any good - I don't want to pay £7 a month for insurance when if it breaks they still make me pay a fortune! There are loads advertised but I just don't want to take a risk.

Does anyone know of a good company that gives good cover that costs less than O2's £10 a month??

Thanks!

2. Griffter macrumors member

Griffter

I pay an additional £25 a year on my house contents insurance to insure my iPhone (although you have to check the smallprint to make sure they cover iPhones and Blackberrys!)

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I also have it covered on my home insurance, under the all risks section.

I lost my first iPhone on holiday, and they paid up for a new 3GS.

I have a Churchill policy through my building society.

I didn't have to pay anything extra for the mobile phone to be included.

4. sparky7 macrumors member

I pay £8 amonth with lloyds bank and get:

# European Travel Insurance* - 5 star Defaqto cover for you and your partner for up to 22 days per trip.
    # AA Breakdown Cover - UK Roadside Assistance whether you’re in your own car or someone else’s.
    # International Mobile Phone Insurance - for loss, theft, accidental damage and unauthorised calls.
    # Sentinel® Card Protection - convienient cover for your registered credit, debit and store cards. One policy covers everyone in your household.

Thats the silver account.

5. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Do you know if Lloyds offer the insurance as a separate thing? I don't want the silver account (on free classic and they hate me :D ) so I really only want the phone insurance. I have breakdown cover for free by other means as well and all my cards are on another sentinel policy.

I am also wary of chosing an online insurance provider to find you're not covered. Main things I'd like to be covered for are water damage and smashed screen. Although I can repair the screen myself I'd rather not if it's insured.

6. SAFC2403 macrumors member

didnt cost me a penny to get mine insured with more than. It's already included as part of my home insurance.

Can't get cheaper than free!!

7. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Well they could pay you to put it on your policy? :p

I'm gonna check out my home insurance and see if mine is covered. How does it work though if you smash or damage your iPhone when you're out and about? Still covered on home insurance? Or 'covered' but technically not if you get what I mean?

8. Mak2204 macrumors newbie

That's. Good point. I thought I lost my iPhone when visiting the bank once. Had them check the cameras. In the end I found it in the car. I dropped when I returned to the car the 1st time. Had I lost it would the house insurance cover it?

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I'd contact your insurer and ask them.
    I just checked Lloyds now and apparently they cover lost or stolen and water/liquid damage. I think this alone is worth upgrading my account to cover the cost of my phone.

If it's £8/m for the silver account to cover my phone that's less than £100 a year to cover a device that cost over £400. Plus I usually get the new iPhone when it comes out so it will always be worth it.

For reference: http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/added_value_accounts/mobile_phone_breakdown1.asp